Giant bottom bracket help

dennnic
dennnic Posts: 7
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I am in need of advice with choosing the adequate bracket. I couldn't find any similar subjects or specs of a current bike, so here comes a new thread.

Friend of mine recently bought Giant XTC team frame, a bit older model, maybe some of you even remember it from its time. Of course, the burden of puting the setup together has fallen on me. :D
I've linked a frame photo under, hopefully.

item-20050711222057010.jpg

Frame used to have an old shimano slx cranset and an octalink bb, if I remember it correctly. However, octalink cranks are pretty tough to find these days, so I started thinking about pressfit.

Would it be possible? And if it would, what diameter of BB is needed? Read somewhere giant used to fit 68mm to most of the frames. However, in the link supplied under is a truativ one, where both 68 and 73mm sizes are mentioned, which confuses me even more.
To cut the story short, can I fit a shimano regullar XT bracket, or something like truativ from http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rs/en/fsa-megaexo-mtb-bottom-bracket-bb-9050-/rp-prod129809 ?

Thanks ahead! 8)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just get a Shimano HT2 crankset which will come with an external BB that will fit.

The 68 and 73 are the width of the BB, not diameter. HT2 will fit both, with one spacer used for 73 and three for 68. It's all in the instructions.

Pressfit is something different altogether. Google is your friend.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Octalink bb's are still readily available - have a look on CRC and Wiggle.

You won't be able to change to a push fit bb as the frame has a threaded bb shell and the fit would be terrible.
    Best bet if you do want to change is to go for a Shimano HT2 bb but you will then also have to buy a new chain set. You may also need to get the bb shell faced to ensure the surfaces are flat and square.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009