Garmin fenix 5x watch for cycling?

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
As titled anyone got one and tried them whilst out cycling? I am thinking of getting one as I cover most sports it works alongside.
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have the 3 - excellent watch. Its not as good as a proper bike computer for following complicated routes - but it will tell you if you've gone wrong. There are no maps as such - just lines on a screen - and if you've plotted the route - you can see when you've gone off piste.

Also its on your wrist - so in winter its tricky to see it but mostly my winter rides are shorter - the longer rides that require navigation tend to be when the weather is nicer.

It's a great watch - very versatile if you want a gadget to do everything.
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    edited May 2017
    I've got a 935 (think Fenix 5 in a plastic body.) It's a great bit of kit and I do use it to record my rides for training effect info etc, but much prefer to have something with a bigger display for actual use when on the go. So my Lezyne Super Enhanced isnt going anywhere.

ETA:
    Just to be clear, even when I record rides with the 935 I'm still using the Lezyne. I just delete one track or other from Strava.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I have the Fenix 3 and the only time I use it on the bike is when I ride the mtb. I prefer the front mounted 810 on the road bike as it's easier to read the data.
  • mosa
    mosa Posts: 754
    Just got my fenix 5x so sorted now. Thanks
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    mosa wrote:
    Just got my fenix 5x so sorted now. Thanks

So how is it for cycling?

I have ageing edge 800, but would like strava live segments, which the fenix 5 is compatible with.

Not sure of wearing on wrist for cycling, but then again, how often do we actually look out front to our computers?
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Anyone else using this?

Voltaire
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Another Fēnix 3 user here - generally I'm no interested in the data while I ride, so ability to quickly glance at home far I've ridden or how long I've been riding is enough (on the road) and all the geeky stats to pore over when I get back...

That said I do have an Edge 820 too - mostly to see if it made any tangible difference to me personally having the data "in my face" (it doesn't) but the GroupTrack facility is handy when I mistime the rendezvous with the lads...
  • meursault
    Another Fēnix 3 user here - generally I'm no interested in the data while I ride, so ability to quickly glance at home far I've ridden or how long I've been riding is enough (on the road) and all the geeky stats to pore over when I get back...

That said I do have an Edge 820 too - mostly to see if it made any tangible difference to me personally having the data "in my face" (it doesn't) but the GroupTrack facility is handy when I mistime the rendezvous with the lads...

Thanks for this.

Grouptrack? First time I have heard of this.

As I was saying, I am interested in the live segments feature. Don't really NEED it as such, but at my workplace a few of us have a veiled friendly competition on Strava segments on an regular route. My current edge 800 just missed out on that feature. Apart from that I, use bike computer to log miles completed, get a few Strava challenge badges. I sometimes use a HR strap for more serious training, not that I train super serious, I am a casual, outdoors enjoying, coffee and cake and beer type of cyclist. So I don't spend much time staring at the computer on a ride.

But I was thinking, with a watch, it's in use all the time. I like the chunky look of it and looks like it has a load more features I might get into.

Do you think I can convince the mrs it cost £50?

Voltaire
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I had the Fenix 3 and swapped to the 5. It is, quite honestly, an amazing watch. It does do everything you need.

However, mine had two faults. One it was incapable of producing accurate HRM data. So, 90bpm average for balls out 2 hours rides. Two, the connectivity between it and my phone was poor. So I got a refund and am just using an elment bolt now. Which is seamless.

IF you're doing cycling, the Fenix stuff is merely ok. It's overkill. If you have plans to do any other additional sport it's worth it.

I'd look at the new Forerunner 935 though. It CAN be cheaper, depending on where you look.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • meursault
    I had the Fenix 3 and swapped to the 5. It is, quite honestly, an amazing watch. It does do everything you need.

However, mine had two faults. One it was incapable of producing accurate HRM data. So, 90bpm average for balls out 2 hours rides. Two, the connectivity between it and my phone was poor. So I got a refund and am just using an elment bolt now. Which is seamless.

IF you're doing cycling, the Fenix stuff is merely ok. It's overkill. If you have plans to do any other additional sport it's worth it.

I'd look at the new Forerunner 935 though. It CAN be cheaper, depending on where you look.

Salute!

I did read somewhere else about the Hr data. Apparently, firmware updates have improved it? Will take the phone connectivity into account, and check out the forerunner.

Voltaire
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I assume the fenix 5 optical HR sensor is the issue? My fenix 3 - with heart rate determined by strap works perfectly fine.
    I assume the fenix 5 would work with a heart rate strap perfectly fine as well?

Fenix 3 links fine with my Samsung Galaxy note.

My Garmin 800 is redundant now - unless I require navigation.
    One of the Fenix 5 comes potentially pre- loaded with maps - this version would be pretty chunky and also expensive.
  • meursault
    letap73 wrote:
    I assume the fenix 5 optical HR sensor is the issue? My fenix 3 - with heart rate determined by strap works perfectly fine.
    I assume the fenix 5 would work with a heart rate strap perfectly fine as well?

Fenix 3 links fine with my Samsung Galaxy note.

Nice one, yes afaik, issues are with the optical sensor.

Voltaire
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    However, mine had two faults.

Well it is made by Garmin and therefore comes with free faults as standard for the first year or so of manufacturing... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meursault
    However, mine had two faults.

Well it is made by Garmin and therefore comes with free faults as standard for the first year or so of manufacturing... :wink:

:lol:

Voltaire
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Yes, the issues are with the optical and, it seems, relate only to cycling. It's fine when running.

And, yes, you can pair a HRM to it. But I think that misses the point that the 5 is HR optical supplied and one would expect that to work or, at least, be indicative of doing actual cardio when you're averaging 21 mph for 2 hours.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.