Cannondale Prophet

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I've got the opportunity to buy a Cannondale Prophet with a Fox 36 fork, shock (not sure what make/model) and Stans Arch Ex on Hope Pro2 hubs wheels for around £250. I've got a few bits in the garage to add to it, and would probably need to spend a further £150 or so to build into a fully working bike.

I know its a bit old school now (#26aintquitedead!), but wondered whether it was worth it? A mate has one and loves his, light enough to handle XC stuff OK, slack and capable enough for steeper and bigger terrain.

I don't have a FS - the only MTB I have is an OnOne 45650b, which has been fine for all my MTB uses. I don't have, and likely won't (ever) have the funds to spend £1500-£3000 on a new FS. And actually, I wouldn't probably have, say, £700-£1000 to buy a newer (but used) FS bike ... so realistically, its the Prophet built up .. or nothing (other than the 45650 covering all MTB bases).

My thinking is that £400 seems OK to spend on something that was rated pretty well at the time, and that I can have some fun on for say 3-5 years? It won't get used a lot, so its life expectancy can be prolonged ...

So, Yes? Or is there something else I should consider?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Decent frame and probably worth it if the fork and shock are OK. Simple single pivot design so not much to go wrong or service.
    Bit old but I have sheds of old stuff, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It was a decent frame back in its day. The fork could be OK or terrible depending on age and the exact variant.