Stem length

apc1
apc1 Posts: 49
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
My Specialized Camber came with a 60 mm stem and I'm wanting to try a shorter stem to speed up steering, improve control etc and move my body slightly further back.

My question is how much do I need to shorten it by?
I have seen a 45mm stem and want to know if this 15 mm would be enough to make a noticeable difference? I don't want to reduce the stem length too much so that the impact on climbing ability is affected adversely.
Using a ruler it does feel like it will make a difference but I would like to know from anyone who has tried and if they think it will be worthwhile????

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Changed the stem on my 2013 Large Camber, went from 90 to 60 and made a big difference with larger bars. I did try a 40mm stem but it felt awful. You usually fit wider bars when shortening stem length.

Genuine Specialized stems are only £20 each so could do what I did, buy 2 and send one back!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Its really personal preference. My current xc hardtail has a long stem by todays fashion but works well for me.

My old mid 1990's xc hardtail has a long stem by any standards but still rode well when I took it into the mountains. It only took a few minutes to get used to 3 x 8 gearing and v brakes.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Maybe but there's a reason current trend is towards shorter stems and wider bars, the effect that geometry has on handling has meant that shorter stems/longer bars are needed to maintain effective handling.....shortening a stem can have the effect of making the steering feel quicker/more responsive but will require more effort hence you would normally fit longer bars to compensate, but you can go too short which will make the steering feel twitchy and impact on climbing ability as you won't have as much weight over the front wheel and it will want to lift.

Your old 1990s bike will ride well with a long stem as it's suits the geometry of that era
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It does and the 26" wheels sharpen up the handling as well.