Buying advise

rawad
rawad Posts: 4
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hello

i would like to buy a bike , i am a beginner and this will be my first bike .
i wanted to buy Trek Marlin 7 new , but at the shop the guy showed me a second hand Giant Anthem X but he could not
tell me which year or model exactly it is , i was thinking if you guys might help me out , i took a picture of it ( hope that helps ) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxDK3Y ... sp=sharing

basically the Anthem X ( 26 wheels ) second hand is 50 $ cheaper than the 2017 new Trek Marlin 7 bike
i would appreciate your advise on which i should buy .

thanks

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You haven't put up a price for either, plus that Anthem needs new pedals and why has someone been painting around the weld on the seat tube.

Also a link to the Marlin.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks almost like tape? And there seems to be a mark from that to the cable stop that needs investigation. Looks like quite a decent bike that's been ridden hard, judging from the wear on the saddle nose, pdeals and ends of the crank arms.

I'd worry about pivots and whether the forks and shock have been serviced. Unless you know what you are looking for I'd walk away.

And if a bike salesman doesn't know, or can't be bothered to find out what they are selling, I'd consider walking away from the shop as well.

As for year, I'd say about 2010, as the downtube looks straight. But it's a bit of rubbish picture.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rawad
    it is a bit of a rubbish picture indeed hehe

thanks , i won't consider the Giant Anthem then .

this is the Marlin :

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 1600-2017/ ( 850 $ in my country ) .

so i am basically looking for bikes up to 850 $ new , if you have any suggestions i would be happy to hear .

thanks
  • cooldad
    It's OK, but there are better for the money here.

No idea where you are. $s could be many places - no way of knowing what's available there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rawad
    Hi

i am from israel .

the following bikes are in the same price range and available in my country : ( 700 - 860 $ price range )

ROCKHOPPER SPORT 29
    SPIKE A3076 6.7
    SPIKE A3096 6.7
    XDS Romance 800
    DIAMONDBACK RECOIL 29
    GT Karakoram Elite 29
    GT Avalanche Sport 27.5
    MERIDA SPEEDER 200
    KHS AGUILA
    KHS SIXFIFTY 500
    MONDRAKER PHASE SPORT 27.5
    REVOX 3.0
    ROXTER 3.0
    KIEZ FLOW

i hope this helps , thanks .
  • cooldad
    I doubt anyone has memorised specs for all of those, or even heard of some of them.

Links help.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools