Talk me out of it Revolt 1

mklock
mklock Posts: 6
edited May 2017 in Road beginners
Hi All,

This is kind of your usual which bike should i buy question, but i think i have already made up my mind. Im interested in anyone thinks its a bad idea or if there is an alternative?

I am currently unfit 5' 9" and have figured out that my commute is the only time i can do any major exercise. I cant Run any more as my Knee is shot so cycling seems to be the answer. I live 20 miles away from work, so initial intention is to drive part way and park up and cycle the remainder on gravel and limestone river pathways. i have tested this a couple of times a week on a really crappy folding mountain bike. (challenger Gauntlet) approx 16kg of crap. My initial distance is 4 miles each way, as i get fitter i can extend this.

So i then start looking at bikes wit ha budget of £300. Wanting a lightweight bike i can throw in the car.
Started in Halfords as you do. This then became £500, as i likes the look of the Boardman comp. A few more shops later and im now focused on a Giant Revolt 1 £1149 :)

Main reasons are weight, drop bars and the relaxed geometry. The ability to go riding at the weekend with a mountain bike friend on woodland pathways is important also.

So i am looking for a light weight comfortable already to initially improve my fitness but as a long term friend

Am I being silly spending that sort of money on a revolt? I will be financing it monthly over 24 months.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    mklock wrote:
    Am I being silly spending that sort of money on a revolt? I will be financing it monthly over 24 months.

you would be silly spending that much on a revolt if it spent its life in the shed getting rusty and not being ridden.

If you get out and ride it, enjoy it, get fitter, it inspires you to buy another bike, you start going out with a club, you go on cycling holidays etc etc .... then its the best money ever spent.
  • mklock
    fat daddy wrote:

If you get out and ride it, enjoy it, get fitter, it inspires you to buy another bike, you start going out with a club, you go on cycling holidays etc etc .... then its the best money ever spent.

I like the username. :D

It is my intention to use it twice a week without fail. As i can't run anymore im trying to use this as my fitness routine. My thinking is that if i spend the money, the ride experience will be enjoyable and knowing the cost will ensure i will use it.

I am open to suggestions. Im going out to a Giant shop later this evening to take another look.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Bicycle is not a waste of money, is an investment. If you ride it, will be some of the best money spend on your life. Your fitness will get better, as your mental health. You will meet several people with the same passion and will do wonders on your social life too. The key here is to ride it. Everything else will come after
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Silly spending £1150 on a 2017 model if you can find a 2016 model (tend to be around £750) which has remarkably similar spec.

Otherwise, carry on :)
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Silly spending £1150 on a 2017 model if you can find a 2016 model (tend to be around £750) which has remarkably similar spec.

Good call
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p66 ... -DISC-2016 for 56cm frame

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/320630/p ... -grey.aspx for the 58cm (which I ordered Monday, should be with me by Friday, I'm ~5'10" with ~32.5" cycling inseam).

It's more limited in terms of offroad, but there are options, such as the highly rated 700x30c Schwalbe G-Ones. I've been looking at adventure bikes for a while since my lower back started giving me less agro, but trying to find a proper hydraulic brake bike (which the Revolt is not, by the way, they are Giant's own version of cable/hydraulic hybrids) with 38mm+ tyre clearance was extremely limited for under £1k.

I test rode a Boardman CX Team, but didn't get on with the Sram double-tap lever. The Pinnacle Arkose X 2017 https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV275629 was a definite possibility, with 45mm tyre clearance and Hylex hydraulics for £900, but it has the quirky bar-end shifter (which can be integrated into the Hylex via https://gevenalle.com/product/trp-hylex-gear-upgrade/) and because of that I would have to travel to Reading to test ride (apparently a store is opening in Havant area soon).

But the Cube's spec, especially at the £900 I paid, was too good to let up.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mklock

I have been trying to find one. Rutland do not have anymore. i rang around a few local shops but not been able to find one.
    They did have a M/L but Medium would be my size
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    I couldn't live with that weird semi-cable/semi-hydraulic brake gizmo on the stem
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • mklock
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s194p ... S-500-2016

Would the seating position this be too aggressive?
  • mklock
    Joshgav wrote:

Thank you, i will take a look.