35mm slicks

Yosser70
Yosser70 Posts: 18
edited May 2017 in Cyclocross
After just a few outings on my CX bike I've decided I don't need my road bike any more, the CX is just too much fun not to ride it. One thing I'd like though is a set of slick road tires for it. Any recommendations on wide slicks any of you have used? Preferably that don't cost the earth as they wont get used that much!

Comments

• mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Not 35mm.... but I fitted 32mm specialized roubaix pro tyres on a bike recently. Have only done 4 rides so can't comment on longevity but they roll well and haven't let me down grip wise (although I'm not one to push the envelope in that department)
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Challenge Strada Bianca Plus Folding Tire - 33-622... Click

challenge-strada-bianca-plus-folding-clincher-tyre-alt1.jpg
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    Vittoria Voyager Hypers. The 35mm ones are cheap as chips at Planet X currently.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I went 32 conti gatorskin hardshells ... been fine, I commute in all weathers and at speed .. I have no issues with them, even cut across fields and gravel paths with them ... mud is obviously an issue, but keep the speed up and you will make it through eventually.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    McStumpy wrote:
    Not 35mm.... but I fitted 32mm specialized roubaix pro tyres on a bike recently. Have only done 4 rides so can't comment on longevity but they roll well and haven't let me down grip wise (although I'm not one to push the envelope in that department)

Another vote for Roubaix Pro 32s - I've been using a pair for about a year now. Really good fast/light (for a 32) tyres..
  • Yosser70
    MrB123 wrote:
    Vittoria Voyager Hypers. The 35mm ones are cheap as chips at Planet X currently.

Just ordered a pair of these. Got very good rolling resistance results and at the price they were worth a go.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Why do you need 35? I have used my CX bike with 25-28 for years...

35 are too big for road use
    left the forum March 2023
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684

I'm doing 110 miles on 37mm Hypers on Saturday. With a 30mph tailwind.

It depends what ones, those things are rapid.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia

I'm doing 110 miles on 37mm Hypers on Saturday. With a 30mph tailwind.

It depends what ones, those things are rapid.

I've done 62 miles on 40 mm studded tyres in january... :lol:

I had the 37mm Hyper and never got to like them... tyres are heavier, tubes are bigger and heavier, tyres are also a bit draggier. I think 28-30 is the sweet spot if one wants comfort and speed... on better, smoother roads 25 mm are plenty
  • Yosser70

Couple of reasons really. Firstly my other 2 sets of wheels have 35mm tires so it keeps the gear ratios the same so I can compare like for like performance (probably not needed at all I know but I'm a huge geek so like that sort of thing! lol). I'd also need different cassettes to get the gear ratios I want. Another reason is the 28mm tires look skinny on my frame and finally they are comfy :) The Vittoria Voyager Hypers have a rolling resistance to 28mm road tires so I don't see what makes them too big.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    These guys have a good reputation:
    https://www.compasscycle.com/product-ca ... ires/700c/
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yosser70 wrote:

Couple of reasons really. Firstly my other 2 sets of wheels have 35mm tires so it keeps the gear ratios the same so I can compare like for like performance (probably not needed at all I know but I'm a huge geek so like that sort of thing! lol). I'd also need different cassettes to get the gear ratios I want. Another reason is the 28mm tires look skinny on my frame and finally they are comfy :) The Vittoria Voyager Hypers have a rolling resistance to 28mm road tires so I don't see what makes them too big.

You're the first person I've come across who has chosen a tyre size in order to maintain gear ratio.

I've not looked at this but is the rolling radius between tyre widths really THAT different? Even a 10mm difference in width, if you said was added to the rolling radius, would only mean, what, a 3% difference in rolling radius. I'm sure it's less than that - 1-2%
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Yosser70
    Yosser70 wrote:

You're the first person I've come across who has chosen a tyre size in order to maintain gear ratio.

I've not looked at this but is the rolling radius between tyre widths really THAT different? Even a 10mm difference in width, if you said was added to the rolling radius, would only mean, what, a 3% difference in rolling radius. I'm sure it's less than that - 1-2%

You are right, it's only around 3-4% difference. Probably should of said gear inchs rather than gear ratios. After playing on a gear ratio calculator I found running my 46/36t chain rings, a 11-32t cassette and 35c tires I could get ballpark the same gear inchs as on my road bike with 50/39t rings, 12-28t cassette and 25c tires. In fact I get a bit more at both ends of the gear range. I like road riding but since getting the CX bike I've realized my road bike is a bit small for me but can't afford to replace it so want to make the CX as versatile as possible. So with the setup I'm going to run on the CX I've got a bike I can run on the road, handle climbs and not spin out on descents but also throw on my nobblys and go off road :) Of cause there's every possibility that I've got it all wrong and it won't work out how I hope but fingers crossed! lol
  • ugo.santalucia
    You are overthinking the gear thing and underthinking the drag of those tyres... it's not much the rolling resistance, with big tubes in they are very heavy, slow to bring up to speed and slow going uphill... they don't even handle very well, I hated them. 32 is the very biggest I would go for road use
  • Yosser70
    You are overthinking the gear thing and underthinking the drag of those tyres... it's not much the rolling resistance, with big tubes in they are very heavy, slow to bring up to speed and slow going uphill... they don't even handle very well, I hated them. 32 is the very biggest I would go for road use

Totally agree that I'm over thinking things but what else is one to do when it's raining or dark ;) The 32mm tire is 45g lighter than the 35mm so can't see it making them that bad. Anyway, tires are one of the cheaper parts of the bike so not too expensive to experiment with :) The gear thing surprised me actually. I noticed that even with smaller chainrings compared to my road bike it was harder work turning over the big gears, to be honest I was expecting to spin out a bit. I hardly ever used the small ring on the road bike but found I was in it a lot on the CX. It's the same cassette so it to be the tire size making the difference. I looked into it with the gear calculator and it only makes a few percent difference but you can definitely feel it.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    I'd get some file tread cross tyres. Decent road performance, and use them in early season races too. 32 or 34, really makes no difference.
  • ugo.santalucia
    VamP wrote:
    I'd get some file tread cross tyres. Decent road performance, and use them in early season races too. 32 or 34, really makes no difference.

True, I've done Paris-Roubaix on Vittoria XN and I wasn't short of pace... they are much lighter than the Voyager and you can run them tubeless. They wear out super fast though... I think I got a thousand miles out of them
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yosser70 wrote:

Totally agree that I'm over thinking things but what else is one to do when it's raining or dark ;) The 32mm tire is 45g lighter than the 35mm so can't see it making them that bad. Anyway, tires are one of the cheaper parts of the bike so not too expensive to experiment with :) The gear thing surprised me actually. I noticed that even with smaller chainrings compared to my road bike it was harder work turning over the big gears, to be honest I was expecting to spin out a bit. I hardly ever used the small ring on the road bike but found I was in it a lot on the CX. It's the same cassette so it to be the tire size making the difference. I looked into it with the gear calculator and it only makes a few percent difference but you can definitely feel it.

50 grams of tyre, plus you can probably squeeze a smaller, lighter inner tube in a 32, which you can't in a 35. Any tube that is rated for 28 will be fine on a 32
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    VamP wrote:

True, I've done Paris-Roubaix on Vittoria XN and I wasn't short of pace... they are much lighter than the Voyager and you can run them tubeless. They wear out super fast though... I think I got a thousand miles out of them

I have done time trials before on TUFO file treads, only about a minute down on my PB, and with highest gear of 36x11 :D

The TUFOs were remarkably hardwearing, I had over 3k miles on them when the sidewalls started to perish (due to being raced at 20 psi probs). The tread looked new still. These are tubs, but I imagine the Clement LAS clinchers are similar. They're certainly made by TUFO. Challenge Grifo XS is another good option available as a clincher.
  • Yosser70
    Yosser70 wrote:

50 grams of tyre, plus you can probably squeeze a smaller, lighter inner tube in a 32, which you can't in a 35. Any tube that is rated for 28 will be fine on a 32

Tubeless ;)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Well, good luck then, I never managed to successfully convert the Hyper Voyager to tubeless... when eventually I did manage to sit them, which took a lot of work, they were losing 30 PSI a day going from 60 to not usable
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    I was in the exact same position as you and opted for 32mm Clement Strada's.

Very pleased with my choice. Comfortable and reasonably fast. Ideal for this time of year on bridalways and farm tracks.

Only negative would be they don't climb well. Is all good training though.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Schwable martahon supreme tubeless or challange strada bianca. both are excellent tyres. the challange is the only tubed clincher i actually like.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Another fan of 35mm hyper voyagers. The big air chamber smooths out so much of the bumps that they are an absolute hoot on the road. They are real slicks and feel very supple and nice compared to treaded cross tyres or Marathon type road tyres.
    Can be bought for pennies from Planet X so worth a go. Yes they are a little heavy and it would probably be hard to keep up with riders on thinner tyres but they really allow you to relax on crappy roads and paths.
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    I feel like I'm missing something. You don't like your current tires. I missed the part where you said what your current tires are.
    I hated my Schwalbe Rapid Rob on the road but then they ARE knobbly. I put 35mm Marathon Plus on and fear no evil. A few weeks ago I got a set of s/h wheels with 25m Contis on (ouch)to use on my trainer. I put a 28mm Michelin Endurance on the front and I did a 75mile run - out rolling everyone - on odd tires.
    So now I have traction and low RR. Slightly heavier on the climb but then I'm the heaviest thing on the bike. I can't see 35mm slicks getting you more of anything.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have some 28mm Conti Ultrasport ii on my commuter, they also do a 32mm, in rolling resistance tests they do very well for a tyre with 'some' puncture protection (tread not sidewalls), I find them fast, comfy (even at 100psi) and grippy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    Wider tyres will often lower rolling resistance and increase comfort over what seem to be worsening condition tarmac, offset by often more tyre and tube weight as well as more aerodynamic drag.

If your cx has 19mm internal rim width wheels, the fastest tyres that conform with safety standards are 25mm iirc, minimising aero drag and weight at the cost of less comfort.

I have always been wary of those Voyager Hypers, because although they roll well, I got the general vibe that they were quite vulnerable to punctures (especially on the sidewalls). But what do I know, I got a puncture on my rear 2.35" G-One Speed TLE this morning and they've only done ~150 miles over the past three weeks (they roll well like my Jumbo Jim's but act like wind sails in head and cross winds)! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    I have the 32mm Hypers on my CX bike. I commute on mixed surfaces including the TPT, gravel paths and roads. The bike weighs a ton as I also leave my child seat bar on it, but it feels strangely fast, is really comfortable and is a load of fun to ride. The 25mm GP4000s on my Foil feel like riding a Flintstones car with stone wheels in comparison.