Old to New chain device?

Bojangle
Bojangle Posts: 63
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm digging out my old Coyote DH3 to do a few DH runs for fun and old times sake, I haven't raced it since 2005 so it's a bit dated with some things, i'm not going to spend a fortune on it because like i say it's just for some old school fun. The only bit i'm not sure about is the front ring set up. The frame has the sealed type BB with square taper and a big MRP chain device. The BB is in perfect condition, the FSA cranks are perfect and cool looking but the chain device is old and knackered. I'm replacing chain/cassette and rear mech, and i was bit of an animal in the day so i'm also getting rid of the 44t!!!! chainring for something smaller!

SO.... What CAN i do and or what should i do. Like i said i'm not racing, it's just for fun.

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Why not try a 1* setup with a NW ring in front and a clutch mech in the rear. That should hold the chain.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I doubt you have a ten speed so you won't be fitting a clutched mech.

Have a look at Superstars offerings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Just googled a Coyote DH3. Funny, if I saw that casually in the park I'd assume it was a Toys R Us BSO, as that's the style of frame they try to ape most. If I looked more carefully I'd see that it clearly isn't, but it just shows how bike styles have refined.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Bojangle
    Bojangle Posts: 63
    That was what DH bikes looked like a few years ago! At least they looked individual, DH bike these days just look like a enduro style with triple clamps. I guess your very young and don't remember the early days of MTB's.
    This bike was built for racers not boys playing DH, The amount of adjustment is incredible, i can adjust the travel from 4 1/2" up to 8 1/2" and head angle 60' to 65' try doing that with most modern DH bikes.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    LOL @ very young - don't think 44 counts! But no, I've only really taken any interest in MTBs since about 2010.

I'm sure its a cracking bike, my comment was more that the BSO manufacturers are clearly stuck with the same image of bikes in their heads given the style / designs seen in cheap shops.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)