Clicking noise, freehub or bearings?

jude2001
jude2001 Posts: 53
edited May 2017 in Workshop
When the bike is pedaling it makes a clicking noise quite loudly almost like a knock. I switched out the rear wheel with an another and it stopped clicking. now here's the confusing part, it clicks much louder in the easier end of the cassette and it isn't even there most of the time past about midway into the cassette. The bike shop said it's the bearings as they're rough but I also know that my freehub from time to time gets the mavic squeal of death but I service the freehub and the squeal goes away. I feel like it would be the freehub as it only happens at the easier end of the cassette and I don't have much money at the moment so I want to fix the one that is making the clicking noise as it is the only one that is really annoying and is always there. Freehub or bearings? Thanks!

Comments

• Check your chain if you are using a quick link. I had a clinking clunking noise, not all the time and not always in the same gears. When I checked the chain it measured .5 everywhere except the section with the quick link which measured over 1. Looking at the quick link it was obvious. The space between the rollers was larger than the pinned links. Replaced the chain and used a rivet pin. Noise gone. Will only use quick links for emergency repairs from now on.
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    Is there any chance the lockring on the cassette is slightly loose? I had a weird clicking noise and thought it was bearings so took the Khamsin freewheel apart (a bit) and put some grease around bits, but ultimately I think it was the lockring that came off way easier than normal. Combination of all of the above eliminated clicking - which was most prevalent in "easier" gears especially when standing...
  • jude2001
    jude2001 Posts: 53
    Just thought I'd comment on how I fixed the problem for those who experience this type of problem. I fixed it by replacing the freehub. the freehub was able to tilt from side to side due to the wear which made the cassette move. Now the knocking could have been caused by the cassette wobbling and be changing the angle to the rear derailleur or it could have just been knocking when power was put down making it knock. A tip for replacing them is to buy some Wahl clipper oil as a substitute for the necessary Mavic freehub oil, it's very cheap too and you don't need a lot.