Front shifter cable tension

keithc440
keithc440 Posts: 277
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Set up Ultegra 6800 front derailleur yesterday. Found it tricky. It all works ok not but when the STI is in the lowest setting there is still tension on the cable. On all my other bikes the cable is nice and slack with she shifter in the lowest setting.
I've done it wrong havm't i ? Surely there should be no tension on the cable in the low trim position ?

Thank you for all the replies. Put my mind at rest.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    not under a load of tension, but not completely slack... it needs to be responsive, so as soon as you touch the paddle, the derailleur should start to swing
    left the forum March 2023
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    keithc440 wrote:
    Set up Ultegra 6800 front derailleur yesterday. Found it tricky. It all works ok not but when the STI is in the lowest setting there is still tension on the cable. On all my other bikes the cable is nice and slack with she shifter in the lowest setting.
    I've done it wrong havm't i ? Surely there should be no tension on the cable in the low trim position ?

Are you shifters also from an 11s group?
  • keithc440
    keithc440 Posts: 277
    Yes also Ultegra 11 speed.
    The point about the cable not being completely slack is interesting. It does feel too tight to me though.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    That's totally normal for the 5800/6800/9000 FD's. They need way more tension any other previous FD. The inner ring trim (low trim) will work better with high tension. If the cable has any slack, it will trim poorly and shift sluggishly. So it needs to be pulled taut at the inner lowest position.

If the cable is indeed too tight. The plastic plate on the inner cage will rub the chain (whilst the chain is on the largest cassette cog/easiest gear). No matter how far you back out the inner limit screw.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    trailflow wrote:
    That's totally normal for the 5800/6800/9000 FD's. They need way more tension any other previous FD. The inner ring trim (low trim) will work better with high tension. If the cable has any slack, it will trim poorly and shift sluggishly. So it needs to be pulled taut at the inner lowest position.

If the cable is indeed too tight. The plastic plate on the inner cage will rub the chain (whilst the chain is on the largest cassette cog/easiest gear). No matter how far you back out the inner limit screw.

This sounds right. You can check to see if the cable tension limits movement (which it shouldn't) by turning the low limit screw. The derailleur cage should still move.