Shimano 6870 Di2 Battery Charge Expectations

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Whats the charge expectancy from fully charged to dead on an internal D12 battery?

I have the battery in my seatpost and it was fully charged around 3 weeks ago, however on my commute to work this morning the front mech stopped working, I checked the light on the junction box and the red light was on solid which I guess indicates the charge is almost gone?

Since it was last charged I have ridden 827km (516 miles) which seems quite like not a lot before I need to charge again?

I understand that its all down to the number of shifts you perform but from what I have read, most people are getting over 1600km on 1 charge?

What is everyone else getting from a full charge, distance or time wise?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've not played "charger chicken" with my internal battery. External was probably getting over 1000km (dunno the mAHour comparison). Front shifts seem more energy costly than rear so that's another variable to throw into the mix. When I was riding in N Holland, shifts were almost entirely rear only and few even Ina 12-23 cassette. The Highlands on the opposite end of the spectrum were up and down the full range of gears.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • JesseD
    Where I live there is a fair bit of climbing, most of it short and sharp, I spend most of my time in the big ring I suppose but to be honest I have not really thought about it too much, just changed gear as and when needed.

I suppose if it needs charging every 2-3 weeks then so be it, but just wanted to check that what I am experiencing is no different from what others have found as if its drastically under then I may need to return the battery for a new one as the whole system is under 4 months old.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    600 miles isn't much, even when compressed into 3 weeks. I change up & down a lot on mine and expect 1000 - 1500 miles without bother.

I'd get it checked if it were mine.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I agree, I would expect 3 months, 1500 miles or so before a recharge.

And I have just had my second battery replaced for not holding a charge, albeit that mine would go flat over a couple of days
  • JesseD
    Fully charged it this evening so am going to see how long this lasts for and if the same will take it back to the LBS to swap the battery over!

Thanks all for your advice
  • I've found that the length of charge also depends on the version of firmware you have. Shimano made an update (last summer?) that greatly improved battery duration. Make sure you have the latest firmware updates. Also, the D-fly uses battery. The firmware updates also addressed battery life with the D-fly. The battery used to drain quite quickly with the old firmware and D-fly and now it is much better. I can't really tell you how many miles I get now because I usually charge at 50%. There was a time (pre update) when it would go from 30% to near 0 very quickly. I think that's been fixed but I haven't tested.