Giant P-R2 wheel spoke corrosion

22stu
22stu Posts: 69
edited May 2017 in Road general
A few weeks back my bike (Giant Defy 1 disc) was put away a little damp but far from wet in the garage, pulled it out yesterday for a ride and noticed a significant amount of corrosion around the base of the majority of the spokes. Seems like the coating used around the base of the spoke / tensioner has all lifted off.

Is this acceptable for a 6 month old bike? My other bike stored in the exact same way has never had an issue after many years of use. Can't believe that the bike needs to be bone dry before being put away.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,289
    I think you mean the nipple? The interface between the spoke and the rim...

Aluminium nipples corrode easily, brass ones don't... you might have the former then...

By a few weeks back you mean when there was salt on the roads?
    left the forum March 2023
  • 22stu
    I think you mean the nipple? The interface between the spoke and the rim...

Aluminium nipples corrode easily, brass ones don't... you might have the former then...

By a few weeks back you mean when there was salt on the roads?

Guessing that's the technical term for it, brain wasn't functioning!
    Yes, seems like coated aluminum as have gone powdery. Roads were damp but not gritted but possibly some left over from a previous cold spell?
    Appreciate it's most likely to be seen as my fault but not really what I'd expected.....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,289
    I agree...
    left the forum March 2023
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I had the rim version on my tcr, they where utter bobbins.
  • 22stu
    mostly wrote:
    I had the rim version on my tcr, they where utter bobbins.

:lol:
    Didn't expect them to be top quality when I purchased the bike but did expect them to survive a bit of moisture. Never mind, posssible upgrade soon :D