Knee warmers, 3/4 bibs for short fat legs?

Quins
Quins Posts: 239
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Has anyone found a brand of knee warmers and 3/4 bibs that fit short fat legs.... 29 inside leg and very chunky.

All my winter kit is too long, but I can roll them up/ cover with overshoes. Now looking for the abive for commutes and club rides.

Been looking on line, DHB brand knee warmer reviews say they come up long....

Grateful for any advice.

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Knee warmers - in my experience - work well as long as your shorts are tight enough around the thigh to hold them up. If not they inevitably creep down and bunch up at the back of the knee. I don't think the fit of knee warmers themselves is that important as long as they aren't markedly too small or too large.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I have both the Assos ones which are apparently quite slippy and the Castelli thermoflex ones which are not. Neither slip on me so I've concluded that the fit answer above is correct. The Castelli are probably better in that they have a rubber gripper.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Never have issues with knee warmers falling down or moving in a problematic way. Fit it key. Get a few different sizes in and send the ones you don't need back. Snug, but not tight. If you have thick short legs, you'll just end up with a large overlap on your thigh, but probably not an issue. FWIW, I find my Gore warmers are shorter than my Castelli.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I have similar legs to the OP and I use the Sportful No Rain Knee Warmers. Because I have short legs they are practically like leg warmers in length. On long rides (over 60 miles) I do usually have to hike them back up once or twice which is hardly a deal breaker
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    stevie63 wrote:
    I have similar legs to the OP and I use the Sportful No Rain Knee Warmers. Because I have short legs they are practically like leg warmers in length. On long rides (over 60 miles) I do usually have to hike them back up once or twice which is hardly a deal breaker

I have these as well and find them brilliant for staying up, so can only conclude as above that fit is key here.

My only gripe with them is they could be a tad longer for me, but on the opposite side this means they could be good for the OP.

Echo what others have said about shorts holding them up, my club shorts have the sticky gripper stuff under the hem (not the rubber band stuff), the sticky stuff seems to do the job and stops slippage.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The Rapha merino knee warmers are the best I've found for stretching. I find that the lower section of 3/4s cut into my calves but these work ok.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Thanks for the replies,no particular brand for us stumpies then ( Gore are shorter, Sportful like leg warmers, Rapha good stretch.) I will just have to do the order of some sizes and returns routine.

Yesterday afternoon started off in 18°, finished up 12°and dropping within 2 hours. Mornings are cold, still getting frosts.