Laptop desk/stand

tazmon
tazmon Posts: 107
Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to the the Wahoo desk. I struggling to find anything with enough height and failed woodwork at school means I won't be building my own!

Cheers
Rory
Road - Scott Solace
Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark

Comments

• FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I use a heavy duty sheet music stand.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Ironing board
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    tazmon wrote:
    Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to the the Wahoo desk. I struggling to find anything with enough height and failed woodwork at school means I won't be building my own!

Cheers
    Rory

Ironing board is the usual answer.

Another option is the tables designed to go over hospital beds which work well if you can find a tall enough one apparently. Much cheaper than the Wahoo desk
  • ronnierocket
    ronnierocket Posts: 172
    I bought this(i think it's the same one) when selling our house recently to help dress a room and now use for my laptop on the turbo. It's just the right height to go over the front wheel even with a cycelops riser.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6172592
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    How about clamping something in your bike workstand to act as a shelf for your laptop?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • tazmon
    Great suggestion Nitrous, I've got a workstand folded up in the corner of that room, hadn't even crossed my mind to try it!

Thanks all for the responses, I'll do some experimenting over the weekend.

Cheers
    Rory
    Road - Scott Solace
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    This laptop table + this support from IKEA work well together. I've been using this combination in my garage for the last 16 months. I also have a Tacx tablet mount on my bars as I sometimes run the Sufferfest app or videos on a tablet at the same time as Zwift on my laptop. From my saddle it all lines up rather nicely ...
    YFLkLm7dUupTsqqdDAVM1fO4E4Wcpti7h9I3Ra4ubh0-1536x2048.jpg
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    I use my son's high chair!

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1578971
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Search Amazon for laptop, projector or music stands. They all look similar and there's bound to be something suitable.
  • I was looking at the Wahoo desk but ended up with one of those adjustable tables that are used for people to eat/ read on in hospitals etc. the main part of the top is adjustable so I have it tilted to see an iPad the other bit is fixed and flat so you can use it for drinks bottles etc.Bought it on ebay for £10.00 delivered (was used / ex display) - brilliant bit of kit, company were called Careco I think (have no affiliation with them!)
  • tazmon
    FatTed wrote:
    I use a heavy duty sheet music stand.

Picked up a suitable sheet music stand at the car boot sale last weekend - £3! Thanks for the tip, works perfectly!

Cheers
    Rory
    Road - Scott Solace
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Found some polycarbonate sheet at work, 8mm thick. Cut it into a rectangular shape, drilled and tapped it 1/4" BSW in the centre and mounted it on an old camera tripod I had doing nothing. Works a treat.
  • that ironing board idea is inspired!!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Anyone got a link for a suitable attachment for holding a tablet in a bike workstand?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    sh3p wrote:

The Tacx tablet holder is spot on.

Previously I have used one of those lectern things that presenters stand behind. Got it free from the office during a clear out. Had castors and was height adjustable. You might get one on ebay. Takes less space than an ironing board.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    My turbo is in the garage and I use an old laptop that folds right over into a 'tablet' mode. I've tied some string to the frame of the up and over garage door, and hang the laptop in tablet mode from that. Works a treat.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If someone opens the door whilst you're in there won't the Laptop come crashing down ?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    No, its attached to the horizontal frame that supports the door in up position, and even when fully open, the door doesn't quite reach where the string is attached.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    This is my old setup up from a few years back if it helps anyone.
    38545882261_9e9ea8c411_b.jpg
  • bobones
    I've recently taken delivery of one of these for less than half the price of the Wahoo Kickr desk (with loyalty discount).

LifeLine Trainer Table

Pretty much a direct copy, but this one has lockable wheels and cutouts on the desktop for bidons.

I have done a couple of rides with it and it's a vast improvement over my previous setup so I am very happy with the purchase.
  • Wow! What an incredible bargain. If I'd spent £90 on that I'd be too embarrassed to tell the world about my good fortune so fair play to you.
  • bobones
    If you don't see the value of spending £90 on this then fair enough, but why bother to write a post mocking me? I was alerting people considering buying the Wahoo desk at £200 that there is now a much cheaper alternative. I've used a £15 laptop table the last three winters and appreciate that this is £90 well spent given how much I'll use and benefit from it. Now, tell me how much you've spent on flashy wheels over the years so I can have a right good chuckle to myself.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    That Lifeline desk does look pretty decent actually - not too OTT price wise as far as I'm concerned. I'll probably get one when I eventually take the plunge with a smart trainer this winter.
  • rider25
    rider25 Posts: 72
    Resurrecting this. The comment about clamping something in the bike stand got me thinking - planning on attaching a plasterers hawk… less than £9 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0034B8E32/ ... pDbBPPKVV6
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Just buy a sheet music stand and set it at whatever angle you want. £10 instead of lots of £.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    why not make one out of 4 bits of wood?

#don'tbuyitbuildit
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jamin100
    jamin100 Posts: 72
    I have an old bed table. works a treat...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NRS-Healthcare ... b82d851779