Fox 36 settings.

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently purchased a yeti sb66c which I am really enjoying riding and the push tuned fox shock feels great. I have upgraded it to 1x11 xt and now the bike is very nearly perfect.
The only niggling crease I would like to sort out is with the fork. It is a 2011 Fox 36 Fit RLC seen here......

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -12-45690/

I am running the fork on very nearly factory settings for my weight but with slightly lower pressure but am still struggling to achieve full travel. I have in total managed to get 120/125mm out of it and would have expected to see around 145/150mm from a couple of hard hits I have put it through. I am confident servicing my own suspension and fiddling with the settings. On the whole (except for under achieving regarding travel) the fork feels great so I dont really want to lower pressure and increase LSC to compensate (especially as front wheel washed out on my last ride when cornering hard). So any sugestions regarding tuning using oils etc or can mojo/tf fettle a fox 36 fit?
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Front wheel washing out is not enough weight on it, little to do with suspension setup unless it's a long way out.

I'd start by setting the sag properly which it doesn't sound like you have done, if you do it off a weight chart it's always too high to be safe.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jonnyashworth
    To be fair it was only a slow flat 90 corner and I was deliberately practising cornering technique at the time (so probably hitting it a bit to fast anyway). I will check the sag with a tape and make sure I'm getting 30% ish and report back on my findings.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • jonnyashworth
    just been out and measured the sag and to be honest you were spot on. I was only running 32mm on a 160 fork (schoolboy error) I have dropped the pressure to give me 43mm now. I know I should probably be looking at 50mm really but I prefer to make adjustments to suspension in small steps, so will see what this is like on the trails to make tweeks to lsc and rebound before doing the next step
    Yeti SB66c 2013