Another Noobie looking for advice!

Stupot07
Stupot07 Posts: 19
edited May 2017 in Road beginners
Hello,

Apologies, i know there are a few threads like this but thought it was still worth asking for some advice. I've probably done a bit too much research and getting myself a little confused and pushing up my budget!! :lol:

I'm planning on buying through the cycle to work scheme, so i suppose my max budget is £1k (don't tell the missus!) although it would be nice to afford some accessories in with that £1k if possible. I'm pretty average in terms of height and build (5ft 8in, 72kgs), so presuming most bikes will have something that will fit me. from reading threads on here, it seems that the best bike is the one that feels most comfortable and fits best and i am planning a trip to Evans to test ride a couple.

There's been 1 or 2 recent threads from noobies asking advice on brakes, and i suppose this it the thing that is puzzling me at the minute - do i go for rim or disc breaks as a preference?

I have noticed Cannondale have a couple of bikes with disc breaks and tiagra for £1k (Pauls cycles does have some 2016 for considerably cheaper). https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV280320 and https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV280311

If disc brakes aren't that important then this opens up more bikes. As i'm going to use the cycle to work and its a salary sacrifice over 4 years, so i want to make sure i have something that will fit and have some longevity.

My other question would be around clipless pedals - i'll start with some flats but i'm not what clipless pedals are best for a noobie?

One more question - does anyone use an outside storage unit to store their bike? like one of these? http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-s ... -bike-shed i don't have a garage and nowhere in the house to store it.

thank you in advance! :D

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    disc vs. rim - discs are good if you've got descents where you need constant braking due to slow traffic etc., especially if you're very heavy (you're not), also faster to work in the wet

but for road bikes rim brakes have been perfectly adequate for many decades, unless there's an overriding reason, i would not base a purchase decision on the brake type, cheap/basic disc brakes may be more fiddly to set up/adjust

pedal type is really a matter of preference, people often say to start with spd (mountain bike, but also popular for commuting) as there're spd pedals that are flat one side, spd the other, mtb shoes usually have the cleat recessed so they're easier to walk in

that storage thing is pretty pricey, have you a garden/whatever to put it in? bear in mind if it's in sight of the road it may attract interest from scum with crowbars or portable power tools - yep, they use them - given a bit of time they'll open it

for indoor storage there are things to dangle bikes over stairs for instance, might be an alternative
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • For a grand I'd have a look at this

https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-attain-sl-2017-road-bike-EV287829

Nice and light, has Shimano 105 components throughout. The Attain is a nice bike to ride, comfortable enough for longer rides but still nippy

The bike that you linked before has some Shimano Tiagra (a lower spec than 105) mixed with other not so good brakes and crankset etc so a slightly lesser spec
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Disc brakes are good to have, but not essential, you can live without them as they live million road cyclists around the world. On your price range is better to look for good groupset (105 is perfectly fine) frame and wheels than them.

Cube that suggested is a good bike, and can be a reference to search for other brands too on similar specked bikes.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Disc brakes are not essential. I'm happy with rim brakes. Just look at the speeds the pros do on them. So lots more choice.
  • Even though the Cube has 105 on it, I'd still go for one of the 2 Cannondales. Aesthetically they look better, especially the one with the horizontal top tube. Also, Cannondale's welds are so flawless that I just can't say no!
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    You may want to factor in a budget for some better tyres. They normally put on any old crap on bikes being sold (even expensive bikes) and decent tyres make a huge difference.
  • Stupot07
    Many thanks for all the great advice. I think I had over researched and got hung up on disc break/rim break debate. I'm going to forget that and just consider which is the best bike/fit regardless of brake types!

That Cube looks a really nice bike, I might see if they have that in my local Evans to test ride.

Thanks for advice about tyres, will definitely keep that in mind - any recommendations on a decent reasonably priced tyre would be welcome!

re: storage, yes the unit is going in my back garden away from prying eyes.

I just need to bite the bullet, get out there and purchase them now! I'll let you know how I get on.

Again many thanks for taking the time to reply, its much appreciated! :D
  • yiannism
    Stupot07 wrote:
    Thanks for advice about tyres, will definitely keep that in mind - any recommendations on a decent reasonably priced tyre would be welcome!

I am using both Continental ultrasport II, cheap good tire and after 3000km only 2 punctures and continental GP for higher quality. For their price range are 2 of the best tires at the market.
  • flegomenos
    flegomenos Posts: 15
    YiannisM wrote:
    Stupot07 wrote:

I am using both Continental ultrasport II, cheap good tire and after 3000km only 2 punctures and continental GP for higher quality. For their price range are 2 of the best tires at the market.
    I am also using the Continental Ultrasport 25mm, as they are much more affordable than the GPs. After 300km I haven't had any punctures yet.
  • Stupot07
    Thought i would give you a quick update!

Popped over to my nearest Evans this afternoon to have a look and a test ride. It wasn't the most successful trip, i should have heeded some advice on another thread and ordered in a couple to test ride. Pretty much all the sub £1k they did have were all 56in! The girl that served me knew less about road bikes than me! Lesson learned.

The only one they had that remotely fitted me was this Scott CR1 30 in a 54in.

https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-cr1-3 ... e-EV253447

Lovely bike, very light, felt fast, Carbon really absorbed the rode, but it felt a tad too big like i was stretching. The Sora gearing felt a bit clunky. My only other experience of a road bike was test riding a Pinerello Gans S Ultegra at the Cyling Show.....i think i've been spoilt!

Anyway, i think i'm going to order the Cube, then test ride it when i collect it and if its no good choose something else.

This did have one of these but only in 56 in

https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-roubai ... e-EV280185

or this in Pauls looks a decent deal
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p66 ... -DISC-2016
  • Stupot07
    Hello!

Just thought i would update you, i ended up visiting my LBS and had a test ride on a Merida Ride 300, it felt really comfortable so ordered through the cycle to work scheme, its due to arrive Friday so hopefully i will be able to collect on Saturday! :D I can' wait!

I'd like to join a club, and there's quite a few near me who do a number of sunday runs, including a beginners / slow run, usually c40-50 miles. I'm generally quite fit, but how many miles do you think i need to get in my legs before joining them for a ride?

Thanks in advance!
  • im in a similar position although I already have a mountain bike and been doing road miles on it, I can currently do 28 miles by which point my thigh muscles begin to sieze up. This is on a 16kg bike with 2.1" tyres so potentially able to do further on the new toy (collecting tomorrow)

However im finding the backside pain the more restrictive issue. Using road shorts as well. Legs recovering after a day, sit bones hurt for days.
    Apparently I have a narrow arse and my mtb saddle may be too wide, the new toy has yet to be ridden but has a narrower saddle so hope it helps.

Similarly looking to join a local club but dont want to be a burden to the group as I tend to try too hard to keep up and then burn out. My local one does wednesday evening hour rides so looking to get up to a decent average pace and join them first.
  • yiannism
    Stupot07 wrote:
    Hello!

Just thought i would update you, i ended up visiting my LBS and had a test ride on a Merida Ride 300, it felt really comfortable so ordered through the cycle to work scheme, its due to arrive Friday so hopefully i will be able to collect on Saturday! :D I can' wait!

I'd like to join a club, and there's quite a few near me who do a number of sunday runs, including a beginners / slow run, usually c40-50 miles. I'm generally quite fit, but how many miles do you think i need to get in my legs before joining them for a ride?

Thanks in advance!

Dont join clubs right now. Drive 300-500km by your self on your pace, and learn the bike. How the gears work, how to turn, give time to your body to adjust. Check their rides on strava, and do it by your self. When you are near enough to not be dead weight to them, then join them
  • joncomelately
    joncomelately Posts: 660
    YiannisM wrote:
    Check their rides on strava, and do it by your self. When you are near enough to not be dead weight to them, then join them

Or, perhaps you could do something a bit more sociable and drop in and speak to them - they'll let you know what they want in a member. You might find out a bit about them as people too - I don't know much about clubs, but I don't think I'd want to join one that said stuff like 'dead weight' or 'F*** off and don't come back until you're good enough'...
  • yiannism
    edited May 2017
    YiannisM wrote:
    Check their rides on strava, and do it by your self. When you are near enough to not be dead weight to them, then join them

Or, perhaps you could do something a bit more sociable and drop in and speak to them - they'll let you know what they want in a member. You might find out a bit about them as people too - I don't know much about clubs, but I don't think I'd want to join one that said stuff like 'dead weight' or 'F*** off and don't come back until you're good enough'...

On the clubs that i ride nobody told me anything when i was slow, but i could see their frustration, so by my self i chose to join a club that it could hang up with them.

At Tuesday for example we had a night ride, and a father took his 10 y/o daughter with him on a ride that ive told him to not bring her, cuz it was hard. He didnt listened me, so 3 people we had to stay behind (he wasnt with us) and the club was going slower. It wasnt pretty.
  • joncomelately
    joncomelately Posts: 660
    Of course being wildly out of place isn't a good idea, but rather than Strava stalking you could just ask; they might have new rider or other relaxed groups that don't get posted to Strava and could be perfectly suitable. No harm in having a wee chat with people, and it also more accurately displays what personalities there are - which might be an important factor.
  • yiannism
    Ok, maybe strava is not the best idea, what i was trying to say, is to find a group that can follow, and not one that is much stronger than his abilities.

Is good to go with stronger than you, is helping you to improve, but at the same time is very hard for you and the others, so chose a group stonger than you but not by much.

For example, everybody on my group can follow at the flat. At climbing eveyone is going on his pace, and we regroup at the top, but if someone can't hang at the flat then we are telling him that needs something easier than us.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Most bike clubs I've seen have a beginners session, normally the social ride on a Sunday. Just don't expect to be joining their mid-week chain-gang training sessions from the beginning.
  • Stupot07
    Thanks for the advise everyone. The club I was looking at has 4 different ability groups from beginners (12-14 mph) to Hard, but it looks as they still usually do 45-55 miles on a club run.

I think I probably need to get a few hundred miles in my legs first, then see if I can go along and try before joining.