The 1970's... best decade ever!

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Garry H wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    The movie "Downfall" is worth watching just for the Traudl Junge bit at the very end.

Abert Speer "Renta Nazi". Used to get wheeled out every time someone was looking for some quotes from the Third Reich.

Speer was an interesting character, did he cheat the gallows? or was he truly ignorant of the Nazi crimes.

Made Houdini look like a rank amateur.

at least even Speer could nt escape the horrors of the 1970's dying in 1981.

Its a great pity that History post 1939 wasn't taught in UK schools until fairly recently and even now doesnt seem to focus on the european aspect, at least at gcse.

He cheated the gallows, without a doubt. Should've hanged.

V true but because he didnt, we know a little more about the Nazi's for all the good that has done us.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,463
    So, yeah, if you overlook all the terrible bits, the 1970s were quite good.

Yeah come on; the every era has a backdrop. The 60's started with the Cuban crisis and the backdrop was the Vietnam war after that, the 70's was all about the Palestinians, the Hijacking of airplanes (90 minutes at Entebbe?). The 80's the American's interfering in Central and South American politics plus at home the IRA and the Brighton bombing. The 90's was Gulf war round 1, the Balkan conflict and the atrocities that went with it. the 2000's was the Gulf war round 2... etc etc.

It's how you as an individual experienced it though.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,747
    Given we joined what is now the EU in the70's I thought some people would be creaming their pants about that decade :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Given we joined what is now the EU in the70's I thought some people would be creaming their pants about that decade :wink:

Have had a bit of a hiatus from the forum, but on my return I see the doom mongers from CS are spreading their cheer. :lol:

The seventies? Brilliant decade for me, born in '61.
    I have said on here before, the 80s were the decade when music started to die.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,908
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have had a bit of a hiatus from the forum, but on my return I see the doom mongers from CS are spreading their cheer. :lol:

I blame S.A. & W.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    According to the BBC on Who is T May, the 70s were the best decade for her....

"In 1976, in her third year, she met her husband Philip, who was president of the Oxford Union, a well-known breeding ground......."
  • ballysmate
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I blame S.A. & W.

Rot started long before them with all that New Romantics shite.
  • pinno
    Never mind Scotty and his mates, no one's mentioned 'electro pop'. The day the music died...

Oh and hello Bally, where tf have you been and how the heck are you?
  • Stevo_666
    Say what you like about 80s music, those re-runs of TOTP from the 80s are top entertainment for me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    edited May 2017
    Some Great music started in ththe 80s

Metallica
    Slayer
    Anthrax
    Megadeth
    Beastie Boys
    PE
    Nine Inch Nails
    Depeche Mode (post the Vince Clarke shite)
    Stone Roses

However, if your music taste started and ended with TOTP, then you were farked.
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:
    Never mind Scotty and his mates, no one's mentioned 'electro pop'. The day the music died...

Electro pop, yes Pinno- absolute shite.

Hello Pinno, I'm in rude health ta muchly, not been anywhere, no hols for another 2 weeks, just not been on here for a bit.
    Coincidentally, have also been experimenting with hot wax (not in a kinky way)
    Bought a rice cooker for 10 quid a and some paraffin wax to coat my new chain. Apparently you don't need to clean it, just soak it every couple of hundred miles and the shite sinks to the bottom and the chain gets coated in fresh wax. We'll see.
  • ballysmate
    The fact that people who extol the value of 80s music are celebrating the reforming of Bananarama says it all really.
    I want to cut my ears off.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    The fact that people who extol the value of 80s music are celebrating the reforming of Bananarama says it all really.
    Come on Bally, we all know that Banarama fall into the same category as 'girls aloud' etc, namely pop videos you watch with the sound turned off. Although given that Bananarama were around in the early 80's we might want to turn the screen off as well :)
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Say what you like about 80s music, those re-runs of TOTP from the 80s are top entertainment for me.

Are they?! Cringe factor off the scale. What the farq was bloke wearing in that vid on TOTP last week? A jumper with a belt around the middle.
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Hello Pinno, I'm in rude health ta muchly, not been anywhere, no hols for another 2 weeks, just not been on here for a bit.
    Bought a rice cooker for 10 quid a and some paraffin wax to coat my new chain. Apparently you don't need to clean it, just soak it every couple of hundred miles and the shite sinks to the bottom and the chain gets coated in fresh wax. We'll see.

I need you here: viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13079341

I noticed the shyte trapped at the bottom of the wax that was set. I might deploy a mesh.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Are they?! Cringe factor off the scale. What the farq was bloke wearing in that vid on TOTP last week? A jumper with a belt around the middle.
    That's why they're so bloody good to watch.
  • Stevo_666
    Some good pop vids came out of the 80s as well
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eUDcTLaWJuo
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Who was that bloke with the multi coloured jumper and the belt called then?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,908
    Ballysmate wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I blame S.A. & W.

Rot started long before them with all that New Romantics shite.
    Whether you like it or not, and there was a lot not to like, but at least they tried to produce original material.
    The Hit Factory? Jeezo. And yes, Bananarama was a SAW production with Venus.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Come on Bally, we all know that Banarama fall into the same category as 'girls aloud' etc, namely pop videos you watch with the sound turned off. Although given that Bananarama were around in the early 80's we might want to turn the screen off as well :)

Come on! given your love of a particular American scifi movie of the 80's ... i'd bet you ve a nice big collection of Bananarama posters.. Siobhan Sara and Keren all rolled up under the bed, probably all stuck together now though.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Got a pic? Odd dress sense doesnt narrow it down much.
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I noticed the shyte trapped at the bottom of the wax that was set. I might deploy a mesh.

Can't believe I got to post in 'Workshop' ! :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Come on! given your love of a particular American scifi movie of the 80's ... i'd bet you ve a nice big collection of Bananarama posters.. Siobhan Sara and Keren all rolled up under the bed, probably all stuck together now though.
    As somebody once said, 'I came a cross Bananarama in the pages of a pop magazine - like a lot of teenage boys at that time'
  • ballysmate
    Never found Bananarama that attractive. Stevie Nicks and Linda Ronstadt eg in the 70s were much sexier
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Can't believe I got to post in 'Workshop' ! :lol:

Yep, we got to sock it to the detractors. Actually, luddites.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    ...and the Austin Allegro with it's 'Quartic' (square) steering wheel.

The first family on our street to get a car back in the early 70's bought an Allegro...in chocolate brown :shock:

Car ownership back then was quite rare and he would often lend it to other families for Sunday drives out, usually to pubs in slightly rural areas where the kids were typically left in said car for several hours, periodically being topped up with bottles of coke and Salt'n'Shake crisps!
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Garry H
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Never found Bananarama that attractive. Stevie Nicks and Linda Ronstadt eg in the 70s were much sexier

Linda Ronstadt; now you're talking!
  • Garry H
    70s - also Debbie Harry
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Got a pic? Odd dress sense doesnt narrow it down much.

Howard Jones - .New song'. Utter shyte.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I just watched that thing from the BBC Whistle Test from the 80s - The Smiths, The Cure, early REM, Jesus and Mary Chain - even the Bangles played "Walk Like an Egyptian" with the cute little lass on guitar. Oh, and Lloyd Cole (who, along with Smiths/Cure were inspiration to my own short-lived and relatively unsuccessful musical career on Radio Cambridgeshire)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH