buying a frame from Giant USA (in the UK)

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
I want a TCR Advanced Pro disc frameset but Giant UK only offer this as a whole bike, whereas the USA do.

Any advice on buying from a USA dealer? Will Giant UK bring one in for me, do you think?
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Have you asked them?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • maddog 2
    I've emailed them but Bank Holiday so no reply yet
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    By the time you import it (carriage costs, duty, import VAT) you'd probably be better off buying a complete bike here and selling the bits you don't want.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This
  • maddog 2
    I've considered this but the UK Advanced Pro is Di2 which isn't straightforward to either dismantle or sell on, so I'm hesitant to do this.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Fancy a US holiday cycling holiday? You could go there buy it, build it and then bring it home?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    With the rubbish exchange rate why even bother? Either buy the whole bike and part it or just get something else.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds an expensive way to get a frame. It's not like it's the only frame out.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It will prove expensive unless there's a great deal, you even pay duties on the shipping nowadays.

Here's a cut n paste of how it works taken from eBay:
    Dont forget that upon import to the UK your package is subject to British Customs taxes also. If it is declared on the customs form / label as being over certain values (£36 for "gifts" and £15 for all other categories) you will have to pay 20% Value Added Tax (VAT) on your items before they will be released for delivery to you. Also, if your package goes over the £15 / £36 values for the goods, then Customs will also tax you on what you spent on shipping / postage costs ! These customs charges, (and the associated rip-off £8-12 that Royal Mail / Parcel Force will charge you (for the "admin" of sending a 1 page letter to you saying "we have your parcel") additional to the customs charge), are your responsibility in general and not all sellers will pay them for you.

They do not constitute part of the P&P costs from eBay and are out of the seller's control, beyond what value they mark the customs form with... These Customs charges only apply to goods imported from outside the EU (as within the EU is always free). Also, even if your package doesnt go over the £36 max value but is marked as a gift (and is Priority, not Express mail), Customs will also charge you tax on the shipping / postage costs :( Additionally, if your package is marked over £135 total value (or a "gift" over £630) then you will also have to pay Customs Duty on top of the tax. This is usually calculated at a flat rate of 2.5% and they will not charge you if the total duty comes to under £9.

So, you've got 20% on the value and the shipping, then another 2.5% on both because it is over £135.

Basically, do the conversion, then add 22.5% on the total cost including the shipping. You'll also find that the courier will charge you about £15-20 flat fee on top (this is because they pay the duties for you and then collect them back from you).
  • maddog 2
    Excellent, cheers mfin.
  • Man Of Lard
    Assuming the frame is painted/polished/lacquered the duty rate applied for items imported to the EU from the USA is 4.7%

Also the duties & VAT aren't added. They're multiplied....

So

(((Base price + shipping) * (100 + duty)%) * (100 + VAT)% ) + handling fee

104.7% * 120% = 125.6%

Also HMRC use a standard rate to convert currency set once per month (unless there's a massive change). I won't comment on the rate they use but it's quite rare for the government to lose out. It certainly used to be published on HMRC website though.

Edit: https://www.ukimports.org/services/impo ... ty-vat.php (onward links to HMRC's page with the info)

Handling fee depends on the delivery agent - some (like RM/Parcelforce) charge a flat rate. Others charge a percentage of the value... In some cases as high as 2.5%

https://www.dutycalculator.com will calculate it all apart from the handling charge.

Bike frame will be found under Sporting goods > Bike parts > Bike frames (polished/paintedi)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ah, that's good to know how it works properly. I always just add 25% in my head and had done a quick search.

It does seem bad these things get charged on the shipping too.
  • Man Of Lard
    Charging it on the whole cost including shipping is all about capturing the cost of the goods/service delivered to the UK.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Based on when i wanted an XS tcr, last year, which is available in europe, us, asia but not uk, giant didnt reply to emails LBS then asked rep who said it wasn't possible either.
    I contacted a US shop, who said it was against Giants policy to ship to UK, difficulties with warranty etc European bike shops didnt reply.

I bought a Canyon Aeroad, what ever the pros and cons of Canyon, they are a whole league easier to deal with than Giant, who will always point you to the LBS network or ignore you.

the Ultimate disk frame looks good and lots more sizes too, all apparently in stock!!!
  • maddog 2
    Giant UK haven't replied to my email ... so a pattern here...

Canyon is a candidate. Seems odd that Giant can't sort themselves out and take my money :roll: