SIDI genius 7 and cleats

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
I got myself a pair of SIDI (yes, I know... 8) ).

I screwed the SPD SL cleats direclty onto the sole as I saw no reasons not to, but unless the pedal spring is quite loose, the cleat twists when I disengage... am I supposed to fit some kind of plate between the carbon sole and the cleat or it is a case of screwing the cleat a bit harder?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Screw in it harder. Take it you're using the square washer type things that come with the cleats?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Garry H wrote:
    Screw in it harder. Take it you're using the square washer type things that come with the cleats?

The square bolt washers, yes

I'm always worried about screwing too hard, killing the thread and being left with an unusable pair of 140 quid shoes
  • Garry H wrote:

The square bolt washers, yes

I'm always worried about screwing too hard, killing the thread and being left with an unusable pair of 140 quid shoes

If that happened you could always take up tap dancing?
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    I misread the intructions for fitting cleats to my genius 5 as 12nm. Before it got to 12 it damaged the thread. To repair, there is a removable section above the cleat that can be accessed to reach the threaded nuts.

however, better to not have to repair in the first place. Don't the carbon soled ones come with a sticker for the bottom of the shoe; works like carbon paste. (Bottom of the shoe, not the cleat so it can be used when you change cleats)
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Yes, Sidis used to come some sticky-backed friction tape that you'd stick on the sole of the shoe before screwing the cleat down.

However, if you torque them up enough, the cleats shouldn't slip without this.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about stripping the threads, Sidi have always used steel nuts in the soles of their shoes. They're easily replaceable if you do strip them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    THanks guys, I'll give them a bit more torque