First ride -- having doubts about bike

Andy1965
Andy1965 Posts: 3
edited June 2017 in Commuting general
Hi all and thanks for the add.

I'm 51, unfit and my last serious riding was on a grifter 40 years ago!

Two weeks ago I taught my youngest son to ride a bike properly, leading to the desire to go on bike reads with him, followed by the search for a bike.

For the past week I've mean googling a lot, walked around my local Halfords basically try to get my head clear on what to look for.

My needs were to accompany junior to the park and a few keep fit rides (mainly on roads) to become healthier and hopefully enjoy cycling.

I concluded that a hybrid would suit me best and took on board that front suspension was excess weight and poorly made anyway on my budget of about £200 - £300. I was hoping to buy something a bit more decent, just 2nd hand.

All was going to plan until a Boardman Team Hybrid appeared on gumtree for £200. It was excellent condition so I snapped his hand off.

Today I kitted up with hi viz jacket and helmet and set off. I was ready for the huffing and puffing and even the sore backside, but I was shocked at how bone crushing the ride was. Tarmac roads felt like cobble stones and the ride was a big disappointment. (It was only 5 miles).

I'm not wanting or expecting to do massive rides, just 5, 7 or 10 regular miles would be very enjoyable and get me in great shape. I just can't see me doing it on this.

I know I should have test ridden loads.

Are most hybrids like this? Would I be better with a MTB?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What pressure did you have in the tyres?

But after 40 years off, anything will hurt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited April 2017
    ^ wot he said. How wide are the tyres and what sort of pressure? Any bike will be a boneshaker on skinny tyres inflated to maximum pressure...

(I see the current model comes with 32c tyres which I would have thought could be run at lowish pressure for a comfier ride)

More importantly, is the bike the right size for you?
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Echoing cooldad... I came back to bikes in 2009 after a 20 year hiatus. A mile around the block here nearly killed me back then. Now the limiting factor is my available time, that's not to say I don't sometimes come back and instantly fall asleep...
  • keef66
    My first test ride on an alu framed road bike was a bit of a shock. I think they'd inflated the tyres for a much heavier rider. 10 years on I'm still on 25mm tyres but run them at 70psi front and 85 rear, and can ride all day if I pace myself properly. Stick at it. And buy some padded shorts.

A mountain bike on the road has the wrong gearing and unnecessary weight. I think you bought wisely with the Boardman.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have a boardman team hybrid with 32c tyres .. and inflated to a whopping 90psi for a harsher ride.

The bike is comfortable, ... its a lot more comfortable than my caad, tricross and Roubaix .... the only thing softer than it in my collection is the 4" 5" and 20mm suspension MTBs

I doubt you will get more comfort from another bike without getting suspension.

keep riding, you will get used to it ... its a good compliant comfortable ride as far as road bikes go .... hell its even nice on the rough stuf
  • keef66
    Echoing cooldad... I came back to bikes in 2009 after a 20 year hiatus. A mile around the block here nearly killed me back then. Now the limiting factor is my available time, that's not to say I don't sometimes come back and instantly fall asleep...

I did just the same. Used to ride thousands of miles as a teenager, but then life got in the way. 20 years, a wife, family, house and several jobs later I suddenly decided to get a mountain bike so I could ride with the boys. Rode that for several years but found myself increasingly riding it on the road. So at 50 and in receipt of a bonus I bought a road bike. Couldn't believe how hard hills were or how knackering it was. A 20 mile ride was a real achievement. Now I can ride all day if I get the chance, and I'm fitter at nearly 60 than I was at 45.

So to the OP, stick at it, it will all be worth it!
  • cooldad
    Might also be a case of being a bit tense. Couple of rides to relax, things become more natural, and your body learns to be a big shock absorber.
    I really only ride mountain bikes except for a short commute, but I find even on the road I might not actually stand up, but I unweight the saddle a lot and take most of the shock through my legs.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I bet the saddle is too low - so you're not getting a chance to use your legs as shock absorbers.
    You don't sit in the saddle like a sack of potatoes - you lift slightly to let your legs take the sting out of it. If the saddle is low - you can't do this well.

Also avoid potholes and grids. There are plenty of older folk still riding bikes so its not like a 51 yr old can't ride skinny tyres. You just need to change and get used to it.

Good luck.
  • cooldad
    Good point. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Andy1965
    Andy1965 Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the advice.

I called into the LBS this afternoon and the chap there said it was the wrong bike for my needs. Said I would be much better off with something like the Cannondale Quick CX 4. I admit, I did like it.

The tyres on the Boardman are Schwalbe Marathon plus 700 x 32. No idea on psi.

I'll have another go tomorrow and see if it feels any better.
  • cooldad
    Presumably your LBS is a Canondale dealer?

I would disagree that you'd be better off with the Canondale. The Boardman has better bits on it and is probably lighter. Better brakes, gearing etc.

The suspension forks on the Canondale are basically rubbish - I'd rather have a nice rigid set. It also cheats a bit with a tapered headtube but not a tapered steerer.

Play with tyre pressures, adjust your saddle properly (just a slight kink in your knee with the ball of your foot on the pedal), stick with it and let your body adjust.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Andy1965 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice.

I called into the LBS this afternoon and the chap there said it was the wrong bike for my needs. Said I would be much better off with something like the Cannondale Quick CX 4. I admit, I did like it.

The tyres on the Boardman are Schwalbe Marathon plus 700 x 32. No idea on psi.

I'll have another go tomorrow and see if it feels any better.
    Hmm - really ... he's obviously decided that he can't make any money out of your boardman then ...

Whats the difference between your boardman and the cannondale quick? Suspension forks? Perhaps the braking method (rim vs disc) - neither are nescessity for your (re)entry into riding.

If you really want to do more road riding for fitness then you don't want suspension at all ..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing wrong with the Boardman as a bike, and 32mm tyres can be run softer to give some comfort, so go get a gauge!

The harder you pedal the more comfy a bike is as the downward pedal effort means your weight on the saddle is reduced!

I commute daily on 28mm tyres at 100psi on some of Warwickshire's 'finest' B-roads.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    Got to get the old backside used to sitting in the saddle, first time proper riding after a time out of the saddle, it kinda feels like you've been ridden by a Rhino. It gets progressively easier though!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You dont say what was uncomfortable - was it the jarring on your arms from the handlebars, or the bumping in the posterior from the saddle?

Getting a bike with front suspension may soften the jolts through the handlebars but wont make it any more comfortable to sit on.

I have a Boardman Hybrid and like others have said, its pretty comfy. The carbon forks take some of the buzz out. But it does have quite a firm saddle and is quite a racy geometry so you may feel a bit stretched out, may be putting too much weight on your arms if not properly adjusted and as other have said, the tyres may be way too hard if they are pumped up to max PSI - your car would be the same if you did that to it!

Ignore the guy in the shop - he was just trying to sell you a new bike. This is a very common tactic... That Cannondale will be alot heavier and the suspension wont be fantastic.

If you havent ridden for so long then there is no getting around the fact that it will take time for your body to adjust. And your bum will find it harsh for a while.

Resist the temptation to buy a really soft saddle, or worse a gel cover for the one you have - both of these are common mistakes which really dont help at all. Your bum just needs to toughen up. You might need a different saddle to find one that fits your body but that wont necessarily be softer - it could just be wider. But ride it for a while before rushing into anything.

As all above have said - check the pressures as they will make the biggest difference.
  • WillMedic
    WillMedic Posts: 26
    I wouldn't worry, I had similar doubts about my new aluminium framed Carrera Crossfire 2, coming from a 20 year old steel framed mountain bike it did seem quite harsh even with front suspension. However 2 main things have helped in a big way. One is getting a track pump with a pressure gauge so I could play around with the pressures. Next is gradually increasing the seat height as I get more practiced with pulling off and slipping on and off the saddle (as feet touching ground when sitting on saddle for stability likely means saddle too low). The comfort is definitely getting there though the one unmodifiable is the trade off for the lighter aluminium over a steel frame is going to be a harsher ride to a degree.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    my Boardman hybrid came with Vittoria 700x32 tyres, though the different tyre brand shouldnt make a difference,but I run them about 60-70 psi and its comfy on roads, youll get fork chatter/shudder over ripply surfaces but that will be true of any bike and certainly I can feel the difference between the Boardman and my road bike which I know the first time I rode that I couldnt believe how much more road vibration/buzz there was from it, and how much stiffer it all felt, but actually it was mostly just down to me gripping onto the bike too hard and being really tensed up and after a couple of rides you learn to relax more into it.
  • hell27
    hell27 Posts: 21
    The problem is your tyres. Schwalbe marathon plus tyres are like riding on solid rubber. They are 5mm thick solid rubber walls and ride like locomotive wheels. I once had a rip in a rear tyre - don't know what caused it, so fitted them. They added a kilo of weight and the ride felt like the frame was going to fall apart. I got rid of them after 3 rides and fitted continental speed CX tyres, which were like riding on a magic carpet compared to the marathon plus. A set should cost £44.00 from wiggle. Try them before buying a new bike- I'll bet you like the boardman afterwards.