Ladies' shorts

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited May 2017 in Road beginners
Hiya

Friend of mine has caught the bug, needs some shorts - but she's a she, so I'm not best placed to advise... :D :oops:

So: bibs or not and what to go for?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Lady pros wear bibs so yes bibs are the way to go.

I would hazard a guess that the good makes for men are probably good makes for women so that is a starting point.

I think Rapha or Assos lady bib straps go between the upper lady bits rather than around the sides. The website photos suggested it was a good design. Again guessing, I think that the best strap configuration may depend on how well endowed she is.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POIDH.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Lady pros wear bibs so yes bibs are the way to go.

I would hazard a guess that the good makes for men are probably good makes for women so that is a starting point.

I think Rapha or Assos lady bib straps go between the upper lady bits rather than around the sides. The website photos suggested it was a good design. Again guessing, I think that the best strap configuration may depend on how well endowed she is.

I find bib shorts are more comfortable and go some way to prevent the muffin top look than regular shorts do, but its the whole loo break trade off with bibs which is why they came up with those central strap ones. You are supposed to be able to unhook the central strap and not have to take your jersey top off to visit the loo, but you just end up garotting yourself or spending ages trying to put it back together again, and the strap never sits that comfortably across your bra anway,so I just find them aggravating and cycling kit thats aggravating just irritates when you are riding,

but brands wise yes I think its much the same as the mens, Rapha are good, as are Dhb, Santini, though they have moved into central strapness now along with Assos. they all do women specific shaped padding, which is something to look for

velovixen.com is a good site to check out as its just womens kit only, from multiple brands,but so you arent having to work out what the search terms are to get back what you want, literally you apply a womens kit only filter on the Assos site, and it cuts off half the womens kit they make for some reason.
  • secretsam
    cooldad wrote:
    POIDH.

WTF?

• navrig2
    edited April 2017
    cooldad wrote:
    POIDH.

Original
    28c878b193b3f69f0cce4b299f45e23c.image.443x650.jpg

Politically corrected

assos-t.laalalaishorts_s7-lady-44576-12.jpg
  • navrig2
    SecretSam wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    POIDH.

WTF?

Pictures or it didn't happen
  • My wife has a pair of Sportful bibs & really likes them, comfort wise & the look of them.
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    One thing to bear in mind with Assos shorts and bibs is that they changed the chamois in the last year - now you can only buy the purple chamois, the turquoise and orange have been retired. If you need something less full on, that purple chamois can be difficult. Mine goes further down my legs than my saddle! I can't get anywhere close to closing my legs when off the bike. But Assos shorts are by some margin the best. Rapha are ok, chapeau ok. Sportful a bit woeful.
  • secretsam
    jaxf wrote:
    One thing to bear in mind with Assos shorts and bibs is that they changed the chamois in the last year - now you can only buy the purple chamois, the turquoise and orange have been retired. If you need something less full on, that purple chamois can be difficult. Mine goes further down my legs than my saddle! I can't get anywhere close to closing my legs when off the bike. But Assos shorts are by some margin the best. Rapha are ok, chapeau ok. Sportful a bit woeful.

I don't think Assos' prices make them an option, TBH!!!

• dennisTleruc
    dennisTleruc Posts: 2
    edited November 2017
    Gonna have to say I'm a fan of the non-politically corrected bibs

Bubbleclips
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Lusso rock for geezers, don't know about for burds.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I dont like bib shorts as they are a pain going to the loo. I also wanted short ones so you can disguise daft tan lines. Nalini ones are pretty good and a decent price on eBay.
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    ChopFamily wrote:
    My wife has a pair of Sportful bibs & really likes them, comfort wise & the look of them.

POIDH :D
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™