New Road Bike

newleaf
newleaf Posts: 15
edited May 2017 in Road beginners
I am looking to get a new road bike and after a false start with getting a Specialized Allez Sport which I took back to shop and got a refund as I didn't like it, badly set up by Evans and wrong size, I suspect had it been set up correctly in the first place and I had got the right size things might have been different, I used the online size guide by Evans and going by that I got the 56 size frame when I actually needed the 58 size, oh well lesson learnt buying online.

So its been back to the drawing board and I am currently looking at the Ribble Reynolds 525 steel bike, love the look of it and would be looking at the mid of the range one with Tiagra group set.

Before I commit myself I wanted to get some feed back on anyone else who might have one. I am currently riding around three hours a week doing 15 miles each time but looking to look at building on this as the weather gets nicer. My existing bike will become my winter bike / rainy day bike. I might look at joining my local club and do some club rides as well.
My main purpose for cycling is to get fit, loose a bit of weight and the shear fun of cycling.

Another bike that takes my fancy is the Raleigh Critirum Sport which much the same components and similar price.

Any thoughts on either of the two bikes?

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Why do you need steel bike? They are plenty great endurance bikes out there with good price.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 15
    Apart from the looks I have read that steel offers a more comfortable ride, alloy can be a bit harsh and carbon fiber can be easy to crack not to mention expensive. Although to be honest it is the look of the bike, great retro look to it.
  • dhungerf
    dhungerf Posts: 65
    If you are not sure what size / style bike you really want. You should head down to your local shop and talk to the people. They can help you sort thru it. The Allez is a great bike but it will be an agressive position for a recreation / commuter bike. Once you understand the style and size a little better then you can internet buy a bike.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Carbon's probably less fragile than aluminium, but if that's your kind of budget then I think you're looking at alu or steel. An aluminium bike can be a comfy ride if it will take wider tyres so you can drop the pressure a bit. Steel can provide a nicer ride, at the expense of weight.

If you like the look of the steel Ribble, go for it. I thought it looked quite smart on their stand at the bike show a few years back.

I'd suggest phoning them if you're at all unsure about the correct size for you
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    newleaf wrote:
    Apart from the looks I have read that steel offers a more comfortable ride, alloy can be a bit harsh and carbon fiber can be easy to crack not to mention expensive. Although to be honest it is the look of the bike, great retro look to it.

With wider tires, carbon sitpost and handlebars alu can be pretty comfortable without that weight of the steel. I drive one up to 150km and is pretty comfortable to me.
  • geryben
    geryben Posts: 15
    Yep, don't buy steel one. It's a hell.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Nothing wrong with steel, as the owner of steel, alu and carbonfibre, i can honestly say they are all awesome materials for bikes.
    I love steel, just feel right. My alu bike isn't harsh and it has stock alu seat post and bars. My carbon bike again is awesome, i would say this is probably the harshest feel out of my bikes, but that is down to the tyre pressure and the wheels, not the frame material.
    My next frame will be steel...
    https://www.steel-vintage.com/bottecchi ... ike-detail
    With regards to the ribble, you probably need to call them and discuss the sizing. I'd also be asking about the widest tyre the bike can take. I prefer 28s in the winter at a lower pressure. Would be super comfy on a nice steel frame.
    With regards to carbon fibre cracking...my mountain bike gets a heck of a battering, also pretty sure the downhill girls and boys are confident their bikes won't crack otherwise they wouldn't be as nuts as they.
    If you crash on carbon it could break, same as alu. But you shouldn't worry too much as it's pretty rare. This season (7 races in) I've seen a fair bit of dropped carbon, the odd broken clavicle but no broken carbon.
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    Best of both worlds - if you want a steel bike but also want modern design look at Genesis models, not sure on how far your budget will stretch but a Croix de Fer would be amazing (and easily last you for years to come). Plenty of deals out there too across various bike shops on Genesis
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Huge fan of genesis, I've had the flyer and cdf. However I would say from a price and spec sheet point of view, imho, retail is high.
    Mechanical disk should not be on bikes over a grand, especially on heavy steel frames with heavy wheels. Thats my completely unscientific point of view.
    The equilibrium 10 for £680 is a "steel" though.