Cycling with kids in or nr to London

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
Has anyone got suggestions of places to go riding with the kids, ideally in and to the north of London. I'm ideally after paved cycle paths, rather than off road, and definitely not on-road. I've heard good things about Trent Park. I imagine Epping Forest might be not bad. But any other good recommendations? thanks

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My Dad used to play in Epping Forest ....

I think it's changed a bit though ... ;)
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    No specific places but what I would say is it quickly gets worth making a day or half day trip...

We have loads of local cycle trails but they don't meet up... stop unexpectedly (and often at the most dangerous places) etc. and of course every junction etc. is then a bit of an "experience".

We adopted a place.... had to drive to get there but once there we can cycle as much as we like without a single car.

We now drive 30 mins each way every week usually to the same place but its a day out and my kid knows the place and there is a kids playground etc. food if you want to buy it but we take a picnic.
    ideally after paved cycle paths, rather than off road,
    As it happened for us we went to a place with lots of offroad... but also firetrail which is "nearly paved" and the intention was just to ride the fire trails... however it didn't work out like that (he wanted to do the single track) and we now exclusively ride off road even though he's now 2.5yrs later capable of riding on road...

This is closer to you and has paved paths and some non-paved but not real offroad... but its also got the kids playground/food etc. (we went years ago when we lived in London) ... anyway makes a real day out and the cycling becomes part of it in my personal experience

https://www.bucksfamilyinfo.org/kb5/buc ... usKt_TvUuE
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Not your area I'm afraid, but we cycled 21 km from Hampton Court to Wimbledon with a 6 year old - along the Thames Path, then through Richmond Park, then through Wimbledon Common. A few joining-up bits where she rode on the pavement and I pushed the bike , but nearly all very kiddie-friendly. She was delighted to have ridden so far.