Rear Coil Spring Advice

HotdogCasserole
HotdogCasserole Posts: 8
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
HI,

I have a Manitou Swinger-SPV 3-Way Coil Shock on my Big Hit and it looks like it has a 300 x 2.75 coil spring on it (the numbers are worn so hard to say for sure)
I have my SPV at 150 psi and my shock is at full preload but I can still bottom it out just by bouncing on the saddle.

Figures that after checking out a spring rate calculator, I need a 650lb spring as I weigh 18 stone (260lbs) but I can't for the love of me find any 650 x 2.75 coil springs anywhere.

Any body got any advice on where to find one and what coil springs might fit?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    preload only affects the initial force to move the spring as its "preloaded", once you are past that initial load there isn't any difference in force required to move the spring. depending how much free space you have between the preload adjuster and the shock top, you might be able to fit a 3inch spring if you can't find a 2.75 one.

any of these should fit
    36.5mm ID Fitment - For Use With DVO Suspension, Cane Creek, BOS Suspension, Ohlins, Marzocchi & Manitou Shocks
  • [url][/url]
    POAH wrote:
    preload only affects the initial force to move the spring as its "preloaded", once you are past that initial load there isn't any difference in force required to move the spring. depending how much free space you have between the preload adjuster and the shock top, you might be able to fit a 3inch spring if you can't find a 2.75 one.

any of these should fit
    36.5mm ID Fitment - For Use With DVO Suspension, Cane Creek, BOS Suspension, Ohlins, Marzocchi & Manitou Shocks

Thanks for the Info.
    The preload is really required to get my Sag correct. Which it now is but I want a firm ride so would like a little more stiffness.

It seems a stiffer spring will solve all of my issues in one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/produc ... il-spring/

Looks like you don't need to stick to 2.75" long.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/products/manitou-steel-rear-coil-spring/

Looks like you don't need to stick to 2.75" long.

Thats great!
    It's got just what I need and its cheap too.

Just one issue - How do I actually buy them haha

Thanks for the info though.