Rockshox RC or RCT3??

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
I've googled this loads and all I can find is lots of conflicting advice :evil:

What is the difference between the Pike RC and RCT3 forks?

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    From the SRAM website:

Pike RC

Pike RCT3

The main difference is in the adjustments with the RCT3 getting the 3-position compression adjustment.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JGTR
    Thanks, I've seen that and that the RCT3 has 3 position adjustment but it mentions low speed compression which I can't find any info on? RC has LSC from open to firm and RCT3 has LSC in open - what does that actually mean and what are the effects when actually riding the bike??

I want a Pike as I've heard they are very good for small bumps and removing trail chatter - my current Rebas are very stiff and take a bit of a hit to get moving.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    T refers to Threshold (aka floodgate) the T3 adds the three position threshold adjustment (R is rebound adjustment and C is compression (high speed) adjustment)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have you tried a lower leg service on your Rebas?
    The proper amount of oil and well lubed foam rings makes a huge difference to the operation of the forks and is much cheaper than buying a new set of forks.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JGTR
    JBA wrote:
    Have you tried a lower leg service on your Rebas?
    The proper amount of oil and well lubed foam rings makes a huge difference to the operation of the forks and is much cheaper than buying a new set of forks.

Yes done it with TF Tuned low friction seals and all their recommended lube, new foam etc made a difference but still quite stiff to get going, serviced the air spring as well, making sure the air ports were clear
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    shim stacks are different - check out the thread on MTBR about it.
  • JGTR
    Can't find the thread, have read about shim stack, pretty straight forward, not sure what difference it makes on the RC and RCT3
  • JGTR
    Cheers, that's a good read. A bit worrying as people are reporting the same issues I have with my RS Rebas, very harsh, great for big hits but rubbish for the small stuff.
    It seems the RC is OEM and set up a bit harsher to make the aftermarket RCT3 feel better?

There is also the possibility that in reality I won't notice any of the issues the are having in that thread as I'm not that skilled a rider!
  • garethwd
    garethwd Posts: 52
    I have pikes and rebas on different bike. both are really plush. The pike is better but I love my Reba too. I run my air pressure much lower than the recommended psi.
    I think people saying they have non Plush pike don't have them set up correctly. I messed around with bottomless tokens a fair bit. They make a big difference allowing you drop the air pressure right down but still keeping the big hit travel somewhere about righ
    On One Codeine

On One Parkwood

My babies :)
  • garethwd
    garethwd Posts: 52
    Can I suggest you try a bottomless token in the rebas if they will except them. I think the newer ones do and drop your psi should get them plusher
    On One Codeine

On One Parkwood

My babies :)
  • JGTR
    garethwd wrote:
    Can I suggest you try a bottomless token in the rebas if they will except them. I think the newer ones do and drop your psi should get them plusher

Been there, done that. Fully serviced, low friction seals, expensive lube/oil, tokens & loads of messing about. They have improved but still very hard to get moving even with the lower psi, then if I go too low they become too wallowly. Reading online it does appear to be a design characetristic of Rebas.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've got a Pike RCT3 and had a Reba RC. Small bump compliance wasn't all that different to be honest. The best fork I ever had for that was a coil Lyrik RC2DH.