Saddle Angle

rower2cyclist
rower2cyclist Posts: 14
edited April 2017 in Road beginners
Hi-I am a tall guy 6-3 and I catch a lot of wind. This year I'm working a lot on my flexibility on the bike which is mostly focusing on riding on the hoods &drops. I think that helped me a lot with efficiency & speed. However, whenever I get on poor man's TT position on my trainer (i.e put my elbows on the handlebar) my sensitive parts start to hurt. I don't have TT bars since they might be higher than my handlebar. So, I feel like the tip of the saddle is a bit steep. Would lowering the tip of the saddle maybe a degree or two help or this is totally unnecessary? Am I trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist here?

Secondly, what are other tips you guys can give to me on improving flexibility on the bike?

Thank you!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Impossible to advise you to angle your saddle without seeing some evidence of your current setup. It might be the answer - it might not.

In terms of improving flexibility on the bike - it doesn't happen overnight, but your body will eventually adapt to whatever position your spend time riding in.
  • coops1967
    coops1967 Posts: 99
    Install a (free) level gauge app on your phone - then check floor is level, pay a hardback book on your saddle and you can then adjust it a couple of degrees nose down from where it is now and try it.

You could also find a dealer with demo Selle SMP saddles to try them out - they have a major cutout and sloped nose to reduce pressure on genitals etc...

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... bout-smps/
  • coops1967 wrote:
    Install a (free) level gauge app on your phone - then check floor is level, pay a hardback book on your saddle and you can then adjust it a couple of degrees nose down from where it is now and try it.

You could also find a dealer with demo Selle SMP saddles to try them out - they have a major cutout and sloped nose to reduce pressure on genitals etc...

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... bout-smps/

This is a great resource, thank you!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    ...So, I feel like the tip of the saddle is a bit steep. Would lowering the tip of the saddle maybe a degree or two help or this is totally unnecessary? ...
    Try it. It is free.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Fizik do an app for saddle selection and to test your flexibility.