New Bike Accessories

taha7
taha7 Posts: 29
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

So I am about to purchase my first MTB and am thinking about the 'extras' that I will be buying as well.

So far I have the following:
- bike locks
- helmet
- mud guards
- tool kit
- inner tubing
- gloves

Is there anything that I am missing or should be getting? Beginner here so I'm not fully aware of everything that I should have with me.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not really, it's just a bicycle. You can sort out virtually everything with a multitool.

Although I normally ride tubeless, I carry a puncture kit and tyre levers anyway, as well as a spare tube, just in case.

Plus a couple of master links for the chain. And a chain tool.

And a mini pump.

For shorter rides without a camelbak I don't bother.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 677005?w=637&h=403
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    edited April 2017
    An under saddle bag is handy, I like the topeak aero wedge.
    I like them because you can stuff the essentials in them and leave them there, without having to worry about whether you've remembered to pack a spare tube or whatever.

In it is a spare tube, tyre levers, a puncture kit and 3 co2 canisters. That's it I think, there might be an Allen key in there, can't remember.

I used to be against co2 cartridges, but for trail side emergency, worth it every time. But they are just for emergency, I have a track pump at home.

Oh and a kmc quick link, it's small and light so it may as well stay in the saddle bag too.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Personally, I've found the following very handy, but these live in the garage :

A cheap track pump, loads easier than a mini pump.
    Nothing more soul destroying than pumping up a tyre to 30psi with a tiny pump.

A topeak digital pressure guage, because the guage on my £10 track pump just doesn't work properly, and it's cheaper than buying a proper track pump with a reliable guage.

If I'm going on a long ride, take a chain tool and a screwdriver too.