Lycra commuting

mosheehan
mosheehan Posts: 64
edited June 2017 in Commuting general
I've read in some press that wearing lycra bib shorts on a commute less than 10 miles is over eager...

My commute is between 8 and 10.5 Km (depending on the route) into Manchester and I often see commuters in bibs and baggies. I've taken to wearing bibs because the roads are bad and it keeps by bits from bruising.
However, my average speed is > 20km/h, I don't tend to pootle and often partake in SCR (although everyone else is oblivious).

What is the the opinion of this forum?
The Monkeys are out to get me!
Cannondale CaadX Tiagra Disc

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    wear what you find most comfortable .... my commute is short, so I cant be arsed with the tiny additional faff of tight clothing for my commute, a pair of unpadded shorts and a t-shirt suffices, I don't need any of the advantages of lycra

the thing is though :-

no one knows how far you have gone or how far you are going ..... so what you wear is irrelevant to other people. If I see someone in full on kit, I assume they have a 20mile commute as what would be the motivation to dress like that for 3miles

the same with overtaking people ..... the guy probably didn't go balls out up that hill as he has a further 15miles more than me to go
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    My commute to work is around 7.5 miles/12k (also to Manchester) and I like to Time Trial it to work and back so lycra all the way! :D They count as my daily workouts so it makes sense for me..
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Wear what you like.

Friend of mine used to wear full kit for the ~3mile each way trip - mind u - sometimes he'd extend it by 15-20 miles - othertimes the weather was so bad you'd need to wear non-office clothes anyway.

I do the full lycra for a ~9mile trip - it's just comfortable and I'd get too hot & sweaty to wear office clothing without a change anyway.

SCR around myway is a non-starter - there are a handful of cyclists at most - so meeting one on route that is going the same way is highly unlikely - so if we do we tend to combine efforts rather than try and outdo each other ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, what the heck you like.

My commute is 10km and I wear lightweight MTB style baggies and a base layer T-shirt as I find that less sweaty than Lycra and the changing is obviously quicker. As I have to go through my office before I can change I think it also shows some respect for my workmates, I wouldn't want to have to look at me in Lycra!

NOT me
    fatguyinspandex-1-01.jpg
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Whatever floats your boat. Why does the opinion of others matter ?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Lycra leggings with a pad then baggies over the top to avoid lewd comments at work. Then when it gets warmer I just wear the baggies without Lycra. I rarely wear padded shorts whether as a liner or as stand alone shorts. It's don't feel like I need them not notice their absence. Perhaps I have my own padding but certainly not a lot of it like some cyclists I see. It's more important to wear stuff that's comfortable for you in the conditions expected.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Full lycra kit - or warm race gear during the winter. I do 60km (25km in and 35km home) a day at present so need to change before I work. If I am going to change then I might as well be comfortable

To be honest I nearly wore my sanremo thermosuit when I saw yesterday that the met office gave the "feels like" temperature was minus 5 for my ride in
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    It'd ruin my suit, so I have to change anyway, so might as well put on lycra.
  • slowbike
    The Rookie wrote:
    As I have to go through my office before I can change I think it also shows some respect for my workmates, I wouldn't want to have to look at me in Lycra!

You mean you don't do your warm down (and warm up) stretches in the middle of the office whilst fully kitted out? ;)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    It'd ruin my suit, so I have to change anyway, so might as well put on lycra.

yep similar my work clothes would never survive a commute, I mean today was a good example after weeks of no rain, a sharp shower/hail (bloody freezin it was too) and Ive already taken off my mudguards thinking it was nearly summer, all that got covered in the muck and rubbish from the roads, and the stuff falling out the sky, was my road kit lycra
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Slowbike wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    As I have to go through my office before I can change I think it also shows some respect for my workmates, I wouldn't want to have to look at me in Lycra!

You mean you don't do your warm down (and warm up) stretches in the middle of the office whilst fully kitted out? ;)
    As warming down as been shown scientifically to not achieve anything I don't do it.
    My warm up is a very few stretches and taking it easy for the first 1km.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    The Rookie wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

As warming down as been shown scientifically to not achieve anything I don't do it.
    My warm up is a very few stretches and taking it easy for the first 1km.

I lycra up as it means I have clothes i n he office to change into and my sweaty riding doesn't make me honk all day. I have a quick 5 mile route down the main roads if I'm not in the mood or the weather is crappy. 10 and 15 mile country routes if the weather and need for a longer commute rises. Either way, it's nice to change clothes after a ride.

My warm down is a nice hot shower at the office or at home !!!
  • mosheehan
    mosheehan Posts: 64
    Thanks, I'll stick to lycra as nobody in my office particularly cares, or at least hasn't said anything and I don't care either way.
    The Monkeys are out to get me!
    Cannondale CaadX Tiagra Disc
  • rick_chasey
    The Rookie wrote:
    A As I have to go through my office before I can change I think it also shows some respect for my workmates, I wouldn't want to have to look at me in Lycra!

For real?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    The Rookie wrote:
    A As I have to go through my office before I can change I think it also shows some respect for my workmates, I wouldn't want to have to look at me in Lycra!

For real?

I'm always slightly self-conscious if I forget something - lights/keys/phone etc and have to go back up to my desk. Doesn't stop me wearing the full gimp gear though.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    On the rare occasions I cycle to work it's either 15 miles from home, or 5 miles across town when the car's in the garage. Either way it's full lycra cos it's the most comfy to cycle in. If anyone is admiring my adonis-like figure that's a welcome bonus.
  • rick_chasey
    hopkinb wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

For real?

I'm always slightly self-conscious if I forget something - lights/keys/phone etc and have to go back up to my desk. Doesn't stop me wearing the full gimp gear though.

Genuine question, not picking on you; what are you self conscious about? What's the worry?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    hopkinb wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

For real?

Genuine question, not picking on you; what are you self conscious about? What's the worry?

43 year old bloke - not fat, but certainly no racing snake, with pale hairy legs sticking out of the bottom of skin-tight shorts with what looks like a built in incontinence pad. It's just not the best of looks when strolling round a big open plan office - I mean, we have 3 19 year old female vocational trainees on the floor - they don't need to see that sort of thing :D . Like I said though, it doesn't stop me, maybe I should shave my legs - at least then they're just pale.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/heal ... 0909113570
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    52 year old bloke, not fat but - well, OK, a bit fat. I really don't give a monkey's who sees me in what.
  • rick_chasey
    hopkinb wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

For real?

43 year old bloke - not fat, but certainly no racing snake, with pale hairy legs sticking out of the bottom of skin-tight shorts with what looks like a built in incontinence pad. It's just not the best of looks when strolling round a big open plan office - I mean, we have 3 19 year old female vocational trainees on the floor - they don't need to see that sort of thing :D . Like I said though, it doesn't stop me, maybe I should shave my legs - at least then they're just pale.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/heal ... 0909113570

Pfft, they're just bodies. We all have them. Have a little self respect. If they have an issue with it, it's their issue...!
  • slowbike
    hopkinb wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

For real?

There were a few derogatory comments made about an ex-colleague who had a bit too much around the middle. He did sometimes treat the office like the TT Clubhouse - I didn't think it was that bad tbh and the derogatory comments say more about the person making them than him. I am a little less conspicuous though.

Certain Lycra items can leave little to the imagination - fine when you're on the bike - less appropriate when in an office environment - any more than you'd wander around in your speados
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    A lot depends on how long your journey is and how hot you get, but ultimately as others have said, wear what makes you comfortable. I embrace it in the office these days and have even been known to wear the one piece skin suit on really hot days.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    squired wrote:
    A lot depends on how long your journey is and how hot you get, but ultimately as others have said, wear what makes you comfortable. I embrace it in the office these days and have even been known to wear the one piece skin suit on really hot days.

I'd change out of that when I got to work, generally.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    squired wrote:

I'd change out of that when I got to work, generally.

But it's OK on the 7:30 to Liverpool St?
  • rampage7110
    rampage7110 Posts: 93
    I ride 10 miles each way, also across Manchester.
    I wear padded tights and lycra top.
    Get changed at work as I'm active all day.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You dont have to ride a bike to wear lycra...

1564106.main_image.jpg?strip=all
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Get changed at work as I'm active all day.

errr .... if you wernt active at work would you not get changed ?
  • joncomelately
    joncomelately Posts: 660
    3.5 or 5.5mi commute. I wear either waist shorts or bib shorts, mainly because I already own them. If I had to buy new ones, I'd probably buy baggies because it seems like it might be more fun winning some SCR in them, especially with a pannier. Wearing normal clothes is a no go as I sweat too much.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'd rather not wander round the office in cycling kit. You just look a bit of a nob when you aren't on the bike. I don't like walking through the office in civvies to be honest, so skin tight lycra is always going to be a step too far.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    BigMat wrote:
    I'd rather not wander round the office in cycling kit. You just look a bit of a doorknob when you aren't on the bike. I don't like walking through the office in civvies to be honest, so skin tight lycra is always going to be a step too far.

Change in the street? Or a nearby phone box?