Shoes for toe clips and SPDs?

rbarcan
rbarcan Posts: 206
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
I have just restored my 1978 tourer for the Eroica Britannia in June. Sadly I find that my 1980's Sidi shoes no longer fit me due to the ravages of time and fallen arches!

I have been stalking E-bay for vintage shoes that will work with toe clips and look the part but they are going for crazy prices. I would rather spend my money on shoes that will work with toe clips for this ride but which will take SPDs too for the rest of the year. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Giro Republic LX looked the part but I have read a review suggesting they can't be used with toe clips, I assume because the walking pads at the front, although removable, still leave a platform so the sole of the shoe is not flat.

Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    These might be good. Not cheap mind...
    https://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/vittoria ... -sole.html
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    You might want to try something like this

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tocleat.html

You just need to remember to loosen the straps before you stop.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Rbarcan, Sorry but I haven't got any suggestions for alternatives but I do wear a pair of Giro Republic LX and can recommend them. As you say, they have got removable 'walking pads' but there is still a platform once the pads are removed and I just measured the front platforms on mine at about 5mm with the removable pads at about 2.5mm. No idea whether they would fit in your pedals with or without the pads but that info might help.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • rbarcan
    Thanks for your replies.
    Johnmiosh, those cleats look interesting. Do you have them? I'm unclear whether they actually clip into the pedals somehow and whether they would fit to 2 hole SPD shoes (such as the Giro Republics which I don't think would work very well with 5mm 'blocks' on the sole ayjaycee).
    The Vittoria's look lovely but very expensive and the review I have read suggests they are very narrow which I suspect wouldn't suit my wide feet!
  • rbarcan
    Thanks for your replies.
    Johnmiosh, those cleats look interesting. Do you have them? I'm unclear whether they actually clip into the pedals somehow and whether they would fit to 2 hole SPD shoes (such as the Giro Republics which I don't think would work very well with 5mm 'blocks' on the sole ayjaycee).
    The Vittoria's look lovely but very expensive and the review I have read suggests they are very narrow which I suspect wouldn't suit my wide feet!
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    I have shimano rt82 shoes, they take recessed spd cleat. My old pedals, which an open sided toe cage, are now on our York static bike and my rt82s are fine with them.
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    rbarcan wrote:
    Johnmiosh, those cleats look interesting. Do you have them? I'm unclear whether they actually clip into the pedals somehow and whether they would fit to 2 hole SPD shoes

I dont have them myself, but it looks to me like they fit three bolt look type shoes, not exactly what you were after. You slide you foot into the pedal and the ridge engages with the back of the pedal. It is much more secure and stable than clipless, but with no float.

In the early eighties, I used to use shoes with a similar cleat, but swapped as soon as clipless became available. I have never had a clipless fall, but there were a few occasions when using these that i forgot to loosen the straps, and fell over.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    McStumpy wrote:
    I have shimano rt82 shoes, they take recessed spd cleat. My old pedals, which an open sided toe cage, are now on our York static bike and my rt82s are fine with them.

For what it's worth, I also use Shimano RT82s and, from a quick look, the walking blocks do not seem quite as 'prominent' as the Giros but, of course, you can't remove the pads from the former. In this day and age, it's probably simpler to order a couple of different types online and send them back if not suitable. Also, keep in mind that the RT82s do not look as retro as the Republics if, indeed, that is the look that you are after.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)