did i buy wrong size? (photos)

daihat
daihat Posts: 4
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello
Did a lot of research, measurements and test ride before buying 1st road bike. And now when i got it i feel like its too big. I would appreciate a lot if u guys give me your opinion.

This is 58 caad12 which i can probably exchange to 56 supersix (paying more money bothers me but having wrong size would kill me even more!) What if 56 would make me too hunched, am i too stretched now? Bikefit said i need 56,7-57.1cm TTL and bike has 57,5.
Other thing is im long legs and my inseam is 35 with 6ft 1/2 height. So smaller frame would need more spacers and positive stem maybe. Is bigger frame with shorter stem bad idea?

8k15NbbHF.jpg
8k1IbELKB.jpg
8k2oXR7oU.jpg
8k4j370od.jpg

Comments

• gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    too big which way?

*very* difficult to tell (more like impossible really), especially as with sandals/flip flops it is impossible to tell where you feet / pedal spindle is...
    ....but you are posting on a forum asking for feedback so i will give my opinion - which comes in two parts...
    (1) you don't want and didn't ask for and (2) is what you asked for

(1) get a bike fit
    - ok i can appreciate that $150-$200 is a lot of money, but consider it an insurance against buying the wrong size bike, worrying about buying the wrong size bike, or after years of issues having bought the wrong size bike (spoiling your enjoyment somewhat) having to spend more money on a new bike that fits (and losing money selling off your badly fitted bike). In this context 5%-10% of cost isn't unreasonable at all.

(2) opinion on your size / position
    - ignoring that you foot position is impossible to tell so assuming saddle for/aft is correct
    (but your saddle might be +/- 2 cm too far forward or too far back).

Just from eye balling, i think your position looks like your saddle could be a bit higher and your stem could be a bit longer
    But .... (another caveat) I have NO IDEA about your flexibility so .... see (1)

but a touch over 6 foot with long legs a 58 seems ballpark, but for a first road bike a Cannonade race bike is pretty aggressive so you will seem long....
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I recently picked up a 56 caad10 .... other than this I have a 56 tricross and a 54 roubaix

The caad10 felt massive, the reach, the high Top tube .... yet the geo was pretty much the same as the other bikes a bit more reach and lower stack ... a month on and it feels normal-ish ... it feels bigger, but more stable, faster, confident

This doesn't really help you other than for me the style of the bike I think makes it feel big
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    From those pictures I'd say that the size looks about right TBH.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    MrB123 wrote:
    From those pictures I'd say that the size looks about right TBH.
    Me too
  • Looks in the right ballpark to me. It's hard to properly tell, a picture with the cranks at their lowest point of travel might help, plus wear your actual cycling shoes, not flip flops :D
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2017
    Have you actually ridden the bike out on the road and done a long ride ? If not, sitting on a bike in a stationary position is not the same as riding it. Get some miles on it first if possible. If any physical issues arise like shoulder or neck strain that is a very common symptom of being too stretched out.

a couple of options are

1. Fit a shorter reach handlebar.

And/or

2. Fit a shorter stem. if the current stem is 120mm. Going down to a 110cm wont effect the steering ,or the look of the front end too much. But will begin too look abit daft going down to 100cm or 90cm. So stick to 110cm.

Also experiment with the stem height (having it positioned high on the steerer like it currently is can give the impression of a larger feeling bike) and experiment with the saddle height and fore/aft position. Having the saddle even a few mm's too far back can make a huge difference. If your saddle is a Fizik Arione they are very long 30cm saddles compared to others. Try moving it more forward than usual or try a different saddle.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    As to whether you'll get on with the CAAD as a first road bike, it'll either make or break you.
    General rule of thumb is that you now have access to many different sizes of contact points to adapt a bike - stem..bars.. seatpost (setback/inline) , cranks.
    It is rare thing too to have a bike fit "out of the box" unless you have gone custom made.
    You do need a bit of expertise to help you as this is your first road bike setup.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Doesn't look too wrong to me. As has been said - can we see the leg at full extension ?

Your first road bike ALWAYS feels odd. I knew I'd never get used to the drop bars - the brakes felt awful.

30 plus years later - its perfectly normal.....
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Nothing screaming out from the photos (apart from that you look like you just stole a CAAD :lol: ).
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, looks ok to me although I echo the one comment above about the stem looking to be a little short for the position but some like to crouch rather than be stretched out. Don't be afraid to experiment a little but try not to do too much at once. Get the saddle position locked in terms of position (fore/aft) and height. Then ride it for a month and get used to it. See how your arms feel and work out if you think a 10 or 20 mm adjustment might be worth a try. Buy a CHEAP stem off fleabay in the new length and give it a go for a month and see how you get on. Repeat until you have cracked it and then flog off the cheap stems back on fleabay to recover your outlay and buy something pretty in the right length (but don't waste too much money as, IMHO, all stems are roughly the same whatever they cost).

You may find over time your view of the perfect position changes quite a bit anyway!
  • daihat
    U gave me all the answer I needed. I convinced myself It`s too big, feels too big comparing to my mtb, and first of all I look on it like a failure on way too big frame by making bad photos from wrong angles. I got rid to that placebo thanks too all of you and I appreciate it so much.

I moved this Fizik airbourne 5mm to front and I think saddle need be slightly higher. But it`s my frame and yes with proper flexibility i will need even longer stem. I took new proper picture with leg bottom and most confortable and agressive position i could get.

8xsRMOy5T.jpg
    8xuGApfAK.jpg

And the brakes, yes I feel like they are terrible. I set them perfectly and still almost miss my left turn on 1st ride. I feel likke my cheap V-brakes long time ago were way better. Seems need learn to use it to not crash lol. I used to brake close to turns and cars.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Looks fine to me.
    soft bend in the arms when on the hoods, back at about 45 degrees

Saddle height looks about right but you'll soon know after riding it
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think its fine. Going smaller would be a mistake.
  • Bobbinogs
    Yepp, that looks spot on. Now stop fussing and get out and right it!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The new brake pads will also bed in and the braking will improve.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Looks fine to me, unless very comfortable, maybe angle the bars down a little at the front as they seem to be angled up which would shorten your reach on the hoods a touch, personal preference though and if you are comfortable then....
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Agree it looks ok - I'd set saddle fore/aft first then height as moving it forwards effectively lowers it and back effectively raises the saddle in terms of knee extension. Traditionally fore/aft was set with front of knee over pedal spindle with the crank straight forwards at 3 o'clock position. Is your saddle level - I know some prefer otherwise but for most a level saddle lets you relax your core and arms rather than pushing yourself back.

I'd be surprised if you want a longer stem but it's partly personal preference - you look fairly young so you can probably handle a stretched position better than most of us.

If you find the brakes poor try swisstop green or blue pads even if it's just next time you replace them - I've found them a small but noticeable improvement over stock campag or shimano.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gaffer_slow
    daihat wrote:
    8xuGApfAK.jpg

this picture in particular shows why i suggested actually a longer stem.

with the usual caveats (saddle not necessarily correct position etc) ....

fittingAngles3.png

when crouched in the drops - your elbows should be in the region of a 90 degree bend. In this photo - whilst you are very (likely unsustainably) low, you would be in a "better" position with a longer stem.

I wouldn't necessarily go out and stick on a longer stem straight away, but it's something to bear in mind - and this variable is impacted by saddle for/aft.

Important to mention (considering it is your 1st road bike), that everything about a bike setup/fit STARTS by getting the saddle height and position in the correct place, then after this the reach and drop to the bars is worked on - not the other way (rg, need to be closer to the bars so move the saddle forward)...

TL;DR the bikes not too big, go ride it (maybe get a bike fit in the future to tune your position)
  • Looks about right.
    Road bikes feel very different from MTB.
    Great bike btw.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    [

this picture in particular shows why i suggested actually a longer stem.

with the usual caveats (saddle not necessarily correct position etc) ....

Yes I reckon he may find saddle back a better option given his relatively good flexibility.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Roll the bars forward a little , raise the saddle a tiny bit (raise your heels on the pedal stroke)
    and drop the stem down as far as it will go.
    Job done.

Looks a decent fit to me (in my limited knowledge)
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • daihat
    edited April 2017
    I think its too soon for stem, when i get used to the position i`ll do test longer stem as adviced.

I`ll start riding it very soon, now it`s cold and raining few days and still complementing stuff (cunter, wrapper, pedals etc). When i get used to the position i`ll think about stem, when i get proper setting. Also trainer frame or bikefitting
    considering in future.
    Yes the bike is great and way too much I need for start road biking but i had very good prize.
  • Bobbinogs
    I am not sure about some that complementing stuff you are doing ;-)
  • gaffer_slow
    well worth putting money into a cunter. maybe even go carbon!
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Looks good, you can always add a shorter stem if you wanted to bring the reach closer.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube