Bonjour from Leicester

e7jdg
e7jdg Posts: 2
edited April 2017 in MTB beginners
Evening! Thought I'd write my first post, go easy on me...

I'm completely new to MTB (did a bit of BMX as a kid) and have been on a few trail rides (red route at Llandegla) on other people's bikes along with local footpath/canal path rides and I have totally got the bug... great to be bike on a bike again after a few years of medium-long distance running which is way too boring for me.

Anyway, I've applied for the Bike To Work scheme and just waiting for all that to go through. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this Scott Scale 965. What're people's thoughts on this? Good for a beginner or would you recommend something else? Reviews seem good and components seem decent.

Also, anything else you would recommend getting other than the standard helmet, inner tubes, padded shorts?

https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-scale ... e-EV286100

I'm from Leicestershire so if anyone has recommendations on any routes round here, please do let me know!

Cheers

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Welcome to the forums.

Assuming you are limited to Evans for the bike purchase and you want a Scott Scale then have a look at the clearance 2016 models. For example the Scale 750 is available for £899.
    For £50 more it's a much better equipped bike than the 2017 965.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hicks lodge and Sherwood pines are too MTB centres near you, neither are very challenging technically but both are reasonably fun to ride if you put in the pedaling effort, they are XC courses rather than trail centres but if you are the right side of Leicester (west) Hicks is on your doorstep.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.