Which of these would you pick for 1st bike?

DF2210
DF2210 Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

I am just getting started with MTB and have looked at most of the likely contenders around my budget from checking out forums and reviews.

I am looking ideally no more than £650 but the caveat is that finance needs to be available. So Halfords, Evans and Tredz.

The bikes I have narrowed down are below. After doing a good bit of research these look fairly well specced. I am looking for an air fork as I weigh 95kg.

I am deciding between:

Pinnacle Ramin 2 - https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ra ... e-EV264162

Carrera Fury - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... 7Qodo3MEjA

Voodoo Hoodoo (or Bizango but reluctant to pay full price for Biz as I know it has been much cheaper)

Scott Aspect 930 - http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Aspect-93 ... _96091.htm

I really wanted the Rockrider from
decathalon. I come across it without knowing anything about it after I went into the store procrastinating waiting for GF to finish shopping. But, no finance.

What would you guys suggest from these or so you know of something else?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Trott bike at Halfords but you might be better off getting a 0% credit card and buying it that way. will open up a lot more bikes for you.
  • DF2210
    DF2210 Posts: 3
    POAH wrote:
    Trott bike at Halfords but you might be better off getting a 0% credit card and buying it that way. will open up a lot more bikes for you.

Thanks for the input.

However, I have not considered this bike as part of my list. Reasons being, I am 6ft 1 and after reading around, someone at 5 11 had the seat at maximum. I would also want to respray the bike as personal preference rather than leave the purple and white sticker. Then by the time I have done that I need grips and a new saddle.

Nice spec though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Saddle and grips, £30 no purple on the frame, new sticker for the forks about £6, still better value than anything else!

Largest frame size is just under 22"
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    DF2210 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Thanks for the input.

However, I have not considered this bike as part of my list. Reasons being, I am 6ft 1 and after reading around, someone at 5 11 had the seat at maximum. I would also want to respray the bike as personal preference rather than leave the purple and white sticker. Then by the time I have done that I need grips and a new saddle.

Nice spec though.

spraying bike just stupid, and how do you know you'll need new grips and saddle without trying it. grips and saddle are cheap anyway.