Another first time buyer needs your help!

Alex34
Alex34 Posts: 24
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking for some advice. I'm at the stage where I am becoming jaded with choice and as this is my first road bike I have no "benchmark" to compare test rides with.

I'm 37 years old, naturally fit with no health problems and can touch my toes without any issues. I mountain bike whenever I get the chance and currently own a 650b hardtail and MTB type hybrid 700c.

I was originally looking for an endurance geometry bike as I am more use to an upright riding position and comfort means a lot to me. The road bike will be for fitness and a few sportives here and there so I want to have a bike I will be able to enjoy on long slogs. That being said I have test ridden a few more aggressive bikes and seem to like them as well.

My shortlist consist of Trek Emonda ALR, Cannondale Synapse Carbon, BMC Granfondo G02, and sort of still considering B'Twin Ultra 720 AF because of the price.

I have yet to test ride the BMC Granfondo as local Evans didn't have my size in stock but will have it sometime this week.

The bikes I have test ridden and didn't make the short list are BMC Teammachine, Cannondale CAAD12, Cannodale Synapse Aluminium, Trek Emonda S, and a few Genisis bikes.

The Trek Emonda ALR is at the top of my list at the moment as it doesn't feel too aggressive and is very light and nimble. It rode much better than the more expensive Emonda S in my opinion. The Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 was nice as well but I felt more "sporty" on the Emonda. I have been told the BMC Granfondo will feel even less "sporty" than the Synapse and that I should look at a more aggressive geometry as my fitness level is good. Apparently the Granfondo is for "older riders with back problems"? :roll:

Anyway, the advice I seek is pretty much should I look at traditional/aggressive type road bikes over endurance bikes and would the Trek Emonda ALR fit the bill for what I want (as an "in between"). A 10-15 minute test ride is one thing, riding the bike for years for 2-4 hours at a time is another.

Money wise I wanted to spend not too much over £1000 so I have been looking for deals. I managed to find an ex demo Synapse Carbon 105 for £1200 vice £1800 rrp and a new old stock Trek Emonda ALR 6 (Ultegra) for £1250 vice £1600. I would like at least shimano 105 and prefer premium aluminium over entry level carbon.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• mcxfisher
    mcxfisher Posts: 39
    Alex,

I am an older Synapse Carbon rider and am extremely pleased with the choice, which I made after testing just about everything else in the 'endurance' category. You will find the Synapse Carbon more comfortable than the BMC owing to its more compliant back end and superior front fork tarmac chatter suppression. If you want to spent very long sessions in the saddle the Synapse is hard to beat, and if you wish to have a more aggressive position you can always take out some head spacers. The Synapse is no slouch, but given your youth and fitness, and if you're generally doing less than 3-4 hours, you may want something less relaxed.

Michael
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Supersix?
    ://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6620/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-105-2016
  • Alex34
    mcxfisher wrote:
    Alex,

I am an older Synapse Carbon rider and am extremely pleased with the choice, which I made after testing just about everything else in the 'endurance' category. You will find the Synapse Carbon more comfortable than the BMC owing to its more compliant back end and superior front fork tarmac chatter suppression. If you want to spent very long sessions in the saddle the Synapse is hard to beat, and if you wish to have a more aggressive position you can always take out some head spacers. The Synapse is no slouch, but given your youth and fitness, and if you're generally doing less than 3-4 hours, you may want something less relaxed.

Michael

Thanks Michael.
    I really do like the Synapse. It's just so difficult to pick the right bike when I have no benchmark to compare. I'm sure Evans are getting a bit tired of me now. I currently have a 2016 BMC Granfondo GF02 105 and the Synapse on hold while I await delivery of an Emonda ALR 6 this Tuesday.

I test rode the BMC last week and it handled very well and was comfortable but the Synapse seemed to be more responsive when rode it right after.
  • Alex34
    MrB123 wrote:
    Supersix?

Have yet to find a shop with one in stock to test ride. But was told the Synapse would be a better ride?
  • I have an Emonda Alr 5 (with 105) and it rides beautifully. You would not be disappointed. The one thing I'd change about it though is internal routing to support electronic shifting in the future.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Alex34 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Supersix?

Have yet to find a shop with one in stock to test ride. But was told the Synapse would be a better ride?

Why did you eliminate the CAAD12? The Supersix is almost a carbon CAAD12 (or the CAAD12 is almost an aluminium Supersix). I've had both.
  • Alex34
    Singleton wrote:
    Alex34 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Supersix?

Why did you eliminate the CAAD12? The Supersix is almost a carbon CAAD12 (or the CAAD12 is almost an aluminium Supersix). I've had both.

It was a bit too aggressive for me at the moment I think. I don't want to put myself off of road cycling because I'm not comfortable on the bike. I was trying to find a middle ground... something I could adjust and see if I wanted to go more aggressive in a year or so.
  • Alex34
    I ended up going with an Emonda ALR 6.

I'm sure I drove the Evans staff crazy with test rides. It wasn't very straight forward for me because my legs are quite long compared to my upper body. So it took a bit of adjusting each bike, swapping stems to get comparable test rides. The carbon Synapse was a very close runner up. The Emonda gave me a sense of being more envolved in the ride, like driving a standard vs an automatic. The Synapse was super smooth and more comfortable over rough roads but it wasn't as nimble as the Emonda and I think I appreciated that more.

Another deciding factor was the Synapse's mostly 105 groupset vs the complete Ultegra groupset of the Emonda... and at £200 less than the Synapse.

I'm happy with my decision and even happier that the selection process is finally over!... well... for now.