Tubeless Tyres - Small Puncture - What to do?

chelsea12184
chelsea12184 Posts: 4
edited April 2017 in MTB beginners
Morning All,

I have 29" wheels they currently have 29" x 2 tyres on.

They are tubeless wheels and tubeless tyres.

I have never run tubeless before so not sure on the best way to proceed.

I have researched changing a tubeless tyre and it seems simple enough.

However my question is regarding repairing a small puncture.

The tyre itself will stay pumped up about 25psi (with no pressure put on tyre) so the puncture is only small.

Is there any way of sealing this?

I have seen tubeless repair kits such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Will this do the job?

Also if you are out on a trail and you get a puncture what is the best way to continue riding?!

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Just checking - Is there sealant in your tyres?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Tubeless repairs work very well. They're easy to do at home or at the trailside. I've done one that took two "worms" to fill at the trailside (the only tubeless puncture I've had that didn't seal) with no issues.

If you are running tubeless with sealant you will probably already have got punctures, just not known because they've sealed. It's very few punctures that don't seal. Choice is then either a tubeless repair or just bung a tube in (make sure you spend the time necessary to check the tyre for debris because there WILL be stuff in it that will puncture a tube!).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • So the issue could just be I need to put sealant in the tyre?

The puncture is tiny.

I bought the bike second hand so I can't tell you if there is sealant in there or not.

Thanks,
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    You don't do anything with a small puncture, that's the whole point of tubeless. If you hear a hiss rotate wheel so puncture is at the bottom and the sealant should seal it, then just carry on riding. If it's too big to seal just fit a tube, make sure you check for thorns etc before fitting a tube and if there is a big hole out some tape/paper/cardboard etc over the hole before fitting the tube. You can get tubeless repair kits although l usually if you need a repair kit the sealant would have leaked out anyway so pretty pointless.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So the issue could just be I need to put sealant in the tyre?

The puncture is tiny.

I bought the bike second hand so I can't tell you if there is sealant in there or not.

Thanks,

First work out whether there is any sealant, or even if they still have tubes. Just because the tyres say tubeless doesn't mean they are set up as tubeless. Unseat the bead and have a look.

Couple of holes I've had which were too big for the sealant to work I just cleaned the inside of the tyre and used a normal patch. Works fine.

On the trail just carry a tube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    So the issue could just be I need to put sealant in the tyre?

The puncture is tiny.

Thanks,

Easy to check, deflate the tire and break the bead partially and have a look for sealant (usually white), if none add some Stans and re-inflate.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Ha, should really have done some research first..... Thanks for your help!
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Ha, should really have done some research first..... Thanks for your help!

It's not a problem. It's just answered a lot of questions I was about to ask. :wink: