how heavy is heavy

jacobpeacock
jacobpeacock Posts: 66
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
so i found a great deal on a giant propel slr1 aero frameset and it weighed in at 2.2kg with seatpost. i was just wondering if 2.2 kg was too heavy for an aero frameset.i just want to make sure i willbe getting a nice frame for my money. i will be putting a full shimano 105groupset at shimano rs11 wheelset.

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Not sure why you'd be worrying about the weight of an aero frame if you're planning to stick a pair of pretty hefty non aero wheels on it? My two pennorth is that overall bike weight is well over rated as a guide to how fast it will be. Do some more research and make sure the bike you're putting together is a complete package that really fits your needs.
  • Why would you worry about weight on the aero frameset but turn around and use 105 stuff? If you like the SLR, so be it, nice bike. But I'd pair it with Ultegra at least.

Also, I'm one of those people in the camp of "if you're not at your ideal racing body weight 75% of the time, no reason spending $$$ to shave ounces when you can save $$ on beer and shave off pounds".
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Nothing wrong with 105 it is a decent setup for training and racing,
    but skimping on a decent wheelset (if the use is other than commuting/general hacking about) is false economy.
    RS11s?... aint they over 3kg all in?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd not worry too much over weight. Do you notice your bike is slower at the start of a ride with two full waterbottles on versus 1.5kg lighter at the end ?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited April 2017
    JGSI wrote:
    but skimping on a decent wheelset (if the use is other than commuting/general hacking about) is false economy.

It's not the weight so much, what I can't fathom is why you'd go to the trouble of getting an aero frame and then sticking bottom end, non aero training wheels on.
  • JGSI wrote:

Apologies.........I thought he was buying an SL, not an SLR that is the alum version. Disregard earlier comment. 105 is perfectly fine in this instance.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Also, I'm one of those people in the camp of "if you're not at your ideal racing body weight 75% of the time, no reason spending $$$ to shave ounces when you can save $$ on beer and shave off pounds".

I've lost two bikes worth in weight this year alone.... can't wait until I can buy an ultra light carbon bike and actually notice the difference LOL.
  • JGSI wrote:

i will change the wheelset in the future. im just saving up for the frame now.