Bought a trott, what extra bits & bobs?

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
I have just bought a new trott bike size L. (I am 5ft10") Was £315.

Im new to modern mtb's (well my old mtb had steel frame rigid forks & canti was 17kg ). I know about road bikes but nothing much about mtb's

Iv'e taken it for a test ride bike seems nice & light an agile , the bars seem twice as wide as my old mtb, wheelbase is longer, and gearing is crazy a 42t ring for riding up walls? :roll: Female saddle is short in length and has no rail adjustment (rails are short also)
Seems great so far but will take time to get used to I reckon...

Anything else I need to keep an eye out for, or too buy for it, tools acessories spares parts etc, its my first disc brake bike & my first bike with suspension forks. I have a stock of spare road bits & tools for servicing a road bike bit no mtb stuff...

So far all I have bought for it is a spare 27.5" innner tube.
Could do with a "male" saddle I suppose, spare disc brake pads etc?
I have fizik antares spare but not reall the right saddle for a mtb.

Oh and will other mtb laugh at a bloke who rides trott in roadie lycra? :oops: :lol:

Hopefully my tactic will be to go fast enough past them them so they won't be able to read the logo. Some one else on here mentioned covering the logo with stickers etc but I quite like the frame as it is, & respray would be costly.

Comments

• I have one and I:

- Swapped the saddle for a male one. Was an old road bike one.
    - Swapped the grips out for some black lock-on ones
    - Fitted clippless pedals
    - Set the suspension up - you'll need a suspension pump for that
    - Got some stickers made up by a guy on ebay to cover the girly logos
    - Swapped the tyres out for some tubeless ones and set it up as tubeless. The wheels took 3 wraps of gorilla tape before the would seal up tubeless
    - Thrashed it around my local woods a few times
    - Raced my first ever XC race on it at the weekend. Came a decent position and it certainly wasn't the bike that held me back.

The wheels are super heavy (something like 2.2kg for the set) so I have ordered a lighter set that is coming this week. Other than that think I'm just gonna keep it stock and ride it to destruction.
  • Moonbiker
    Thanks useful info which wheels did you buy?

So I need to buy a shock pump if I want to adjust fork SAG to the recommended 25%? All sounds quite technical. I supose it is all dependent on rider weight. :o
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    yes, pump for the fork to set up for your weight. 25% sag will be a starting point, then you adjust it from there to suit you and your trails.
    Pump with pressure gauge to set the tyre pressures.
    Disk brake pads - generally superstar and uberbike get recommended as the places to buy from online.
    Baggy shorts!
  • Moonbiker
    btwin have a cheapo pump for £15 quid. 8)

disc brake pads seems there are loads of different types will have to research which are best.