Zonda pricing / starbike thoughts

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Thinking of upgrading the somewhat low budget Bontrager wheels on my Emonda (ALR6) and given all the thoughts and feedback on this site I think I am heading for some Zondas. Does anybody know of any bargains out there at all? I remember seeing them a few months back around £250, but seem to have gone back way over the £300 mark. I found a set here http://www.starbike.com/en/campagnolo-zonda-c17-wheelset/?currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxPbHBRCdxJLF3qen3dYBEiQAMRyxS20CMUDLE6QR7_j-w2HcvId25VqPN5RTsZAY74w6rcMaAqCK8P8HAQ but does anyone have any feedback on starbike, are they any good?

Thanks all

Comments

• Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Starbike are a reputable retailer, they sponsor the Weight Weenies website. Zondas are fantastic wheels, I had a set on a Cervelo R3 hire bike in Italy last week.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Bought many times from Starbike... delivery can be slow and expensive, but never had any problem with them
    left the forum March 2023
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    If you search for Race View Cycles they have them for £316 and Evans Cycles will price match it if you email them... I say this because I personally wouldn't touch Race View with a 10 foot barge pole.

Edit: It was the old model that was always around the £250 mark, the new model has wider rims. I've had both models and both are fantastic wheels imo.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Starbike are a reputable retailer, they sponsor the Weight Weenies website. Zondas are fantastic wheels, I had a set on a Cervelo R3 hire bike in Italy last week.

I broke a spoke on my Zonda front wheel late last. The wheel immediately went so far out of true, the bike was unrideable.
  • ugo.santalucia
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

I broke a spoke on my Zonda front wheel late last. The wheel immediately went so far out of true, the bike was unrideable.

Nothing new there... it's not a Zonda prerogative. Any wheel with few spokes does that.

Anything below 28 becomes difficult to ride... if it's below 24 it probably won't even clear the brakes.

On the other hand, a friend of mine did the whole Paris-Roubaix with 31 spokes, as one broke before the first sector in Troisville
  • sheffsimon
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

Nothing new there... it's not a Zonda prerogative. Any wheel with few spokes does that.

Anything below 28 becomes difficult to ride... if it's below 24 it probably won't even clear the brakes.

On the other hand, a friend of mine did the whole Paris-Roubaix with 31 spokes, as one broke before the first sector in Troisville

True, and the replacement spokes seem hard to identify and can be pricey. They were nice wheels though.

Anyway, my replacement plan is a set of handbuilts, 32 front and 32 rear.
  • ugo.santalucia
    SheffSimon wrote:

True, and the replacement spokes seem hard to identify and can be pricey. They were nice wheels though.

It seems to be the way people go after such inconvenience... I started building wheels because I had a spoke failure and an unrideable wheel...

I am still on 32 spokes 8 years later... :lol:
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    birdie23 wrote:
    If you search for Race View Cycles they have them for £316 and Evans Cycles will price match it if you email them... I say this because I personally wouldn't touch Race View with a 10 foot barge pole.

Edit: It was the old model that was always around the £250 mark, the new model has wider rims. I've had both models and both are fantastic wheels imo.

Thanks birdie - read the first part of your post and my heart sank having seen the comments on raceview online! CRC have them for £330 so with BC discount, plus some TCB I am all in for £300. Hadn't realised it was only the non-C17's that were £250 so think £300 will do nicely...

Thanks for all other comments re-spoke count, am hoping that my <65kg weight might mean that barrign potholes and cobbles the spokes should hold up!
  • sheffsimon
    SheffSimon wrote:

It seems to be the way people go after such inconvenience... I started building wheels because I had a spoke failure and an unrideable wheel...

I am still on 32 spokes 8 years later... :lol:

I always used to ride n race on hand built wheels, 30 years ago, never a problem when a spoke broke, just twist it round another and carry on.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    timbo_tim wrote:
    Thanks for all other comments re-spoke count, am hoping that my <65kg weight might mean that barrign potholes and cobbles the spokes should hold up!

Just to give an alternative view I'm currently 88kg and have had no problems with Zondas staying in true or breaking spokes. Lightest I was on the original Zondas was 75kg and they were retired for rim wear rather than any spoke issues and they never went out of true despite hitting more than a few potholes. Done about 1000 miles on the C17s and so far, so good.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC