Thoughts on uci approved frames

jacobpeacock
jacobpeacock Posts: 66
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
are uci approved framesets any better than non approved ones? are they more special?

Comments

• alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    are uci approved framesets any better than non approved ones? are they more special?

You could argue that a non UCI frame is better as it is not limited by the 3 to 1 tube ratio law. Therefore the manufacturer can utilize more aggressive tube shapes and carbon layups.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

No - it just means they comply with the UCI's current technical regs in terms of competition. Frames that don't carry the approval are either not compliant or have simply not been submitted for testing. It's not like one is implicitly 'faster' or anything.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    to be uci approved a frame needs to fit within a set of rules covering the size/shape of various bits and not "constitute any danger", all the uci requires is that it meet the dimensional rules and match the manufacturer's drawings

aside from that it still has to conform will all the same legal standards and safety rules as a non-uci frame

a non-uci frame could exploit non-compliant design or other innovations to be somehow better, aerodynamics is probably the area most likely
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Uci approved frames means you can race in a uci race. Are you a pro or semi pro if so this will be important to you. If not why would you care.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Because I think he's just paid more than the going rate for one and is looking for kudos.

Oh.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Because I think he's just paid more than the going rate for one and is looking for kudos.

Oh.

i haven't actually paid for anything. i was just curious about it.
  • Because I think he's just paid more than the going rate for one and is looking for kudos.

Oh.

i haven't actually paid for anything. i was just curious about it.
  • Uci approved frames means you can race in a uci race. Are you a pro or semi pro if so this will be important to you. If not why would you care.

i was just curious about it