What Bike, wattbike?

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
Need some advice on an indoor spin bike.

Long story short, had a free cheap spin bike for 1.5 years racked by around 2k myself and wife done some too. Was considering upgrading to something that had power as current bike really tells you nothing, obviously can take a look at the puddle after.

First thought after seeing prices of power related bikes was to go for a kickr however the wife claims that's selfish and I'll be the only person in the house to use it.

So starting looking at wattbike hated the cost but like the 0% option, don't see many second hand ones available which is ashame.

Wanted to know other options to consider, ideally want stats like cadence, power, speed, distance would also like to be able to do programmed routes, zwift and the like optional but like having the option.

Does wattbike allow any free options to ride a route you have done previously outdoors?

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Do you have a bike you use outside?

Wattbikes are good options for gyms, but for most of us a smart trainer (Tacx flux, kickr, etc, etc) is a much better bet.

You can ride your own bike, the choice of software (zwift, trainer road, filmed climbs, repeating outdoor rides, etc) is significantly broader and you can run the trainer in erg mode to get very exact workouts. The smart trainers now all have very accurate power meters built into them. Even if you didn't have a bike I'd probably still recommend buying a second bike and a smart trainer over a watt bike.
  • jpower
    Yes I have a road and mountain bike, almost always use Road.

I do agree with you and it would save me loads of money but wife and kids dictate it must be a stationery spin style bike.

I see cycleops phantom 5 as an alternative to a wattbike but build does not look as good and there very little in terms of reviews etc, wattbike seems to have huge hype everywhere.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Get wife and kid a bike as well, problem solved ;-)
  • jpower
    Stueys wrote:
    Get wife and kid a bike as well, problem solved ;-)
    So you have my longer term plan in mind :D

Now it's just the current bike to decide.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Another approach would be to fit power pedals to your existing spin bike, eg the Garmin or Powertap.

Might work out cheaper, only problem is i imagine some of the family are using the spin bike with foot straps rather than cleats?

There are a couple of alternatives to the wattbike out there - stages sc3 and proforma tdf are worth looking at.
  • jpower
    TimothyW wrote:
    Another approach would be to fit power pedals to your existing spin bike, eg the Garmin or Powertap.

Might work out cheaper, only problem is i imagine some of the family are using the spin bike with foot straps rather than cleats?

There are a couple of alternatives to the wattbike out there - stages sc3 and proforma tdf are worth looking at.

Spot on they def won't be using cleats.

Thank you I will look up those models.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Dont waste your time looking at that TDF model. It is terrible.
  • jpower
    Good to know.

Test rode wattbike at the gym, have used before a long while ago, did feel good and I like the multiple connection options etc etc, seems to be a use it device to whatever level you want.

Was sold when I saw they are currently doing refurbs at 0%, order placed.