Marathon plus - too bomb proof?

pbassred
pbassred Posts: 208
edited April 2017 in Road beginners
I have 2 bikes. One with 35mm Marathon plus and the other with Marathon plus tour. No punctures after 5000Km - or even a hint of damage - or even wear! still, I carry a spare tube, levers and a mini pump on longer rides.
Do I need counseling?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    there is a trade off though. They may last longer than most rims but they are heavy and relative to other tyres have higher rolling resistance. That may not bother you if longevity is your concern.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    pbassred wrote:
    I have 2 bikes. One with 35mm Marathon plus and the other with Marathon plus tour. No punctures after 5000Km - or even a hint of damage - or even wear! still, I carry a spare tube, levers and a mini pump on longer rides.
    Do I need counseling?

Nah. What price peace of mind and all that.

Had same experience with Vittoria Randonneurs
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    They are great tyres. I use them on my commuter bike. I prefer faster tyres on my other rides but it's a trade off.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    I just push more and because I'm not stopped my normalised power over the life of the tyre is greater ;)

Given the RR difference between a 37mm Marathon Plus at 60psi (25.5W) & a 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons at 100psi (18.1W) is about 7W according to http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com, you don't have to be stopped for long fixing a puncture for the heavier tyre to be a better prospect. Nor is losing 2-3% the end of the world (assuming an FTP of 240W) for 99% of riders, they may think it is because zOMG!!!!11eleven Strava! - there'll be people out there losing all that power and more in their chain because it needs a clean & lube.
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    Given the RR difference between a 37mm Marathon Plus at 60psi (25.5W) & a 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons at 100psi (18.1W) is about 7W
    I agree - although that is PER TYRE. and there is a weight penalty 1800g/set vursus 480g/set.
    But then , knock off the weight of a pump, spare tube and leavers, and I just wouldn't run 25mm. 28 minimum.

Sill, I wonder how much speed/distance 14W represents .
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have them on my winter bike. Have for years. No dramas until this year where a thorn got past the protective belt - I must have ridden over the edge of it and it just avoided the belt. Dammit.

So although you probably wont need your kit - your riding colleagues might. Theres always someone who forgets their levers or tube - I think fl*ts are rarer now than they used to be so you can get a bit blase...