Best home insurance for bikes.

moyesie
moyesie Posts: 68
edited May 2017 in Road general
Moving home soon so having to re-jig the home insurance.

Currently with M&S for contents only and paying circa. £30 pm with unlimited away from home cover.

Unfortunately all new M&S policies now require specific adding of bikes which is pushing the cost up.

Have the days of unspecified bike cover gone? Certainly feels that way.

Comments

• fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Im with pedalcover, think its an M&S policy but with £15k bike cover on it.

Due for renewal next month actually...
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Try Hastings Direct
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    another +1 for Darren and his team at Pedalcover, and for the sake of nothing, I think the underwriter is AXA not M&S. Probably wrong, either way doesn't matter great amount of cover without loads of footnotes
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    you need to be a santander 321 customer but their cover is superb, just specify your most expensive bike and all others are automatically included, they dont even ask what they are.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Take a look at Hiscox, not the cheapest but cover is great
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Check the security requirements carefu!ly. Some are very strict and you might struggle to comply with them.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Flâneur wrote:
    another +1 for Darren and his team at Pedalcover, and for the sake of nothing, I think the underwriter is AXA not M&S. Probably wrong, either way doesn't matter great amount of cover without loads of footnotes
    Another vote for Pedalcover and the underwriter is AXA, who are also the underwriter for M&S. We've just moved from M&S got same buildings and contents cover that we had with M&S except for the vastly improved cycle coverage and saved £200 a year into the bargain.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    Another +1 for Pedalcover from me
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Anyone made a claim through Pedalcover?
    I am with them too but experience tells me that is when you find out how good a company is.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I've recently gone for a policy by Bikmo
    They are underwritten by Hiscox.

Both my Spesh Tarmac valued at £2.2k and my Ohs bike at £400 comes out at £18pm.
    I went for a seperate policy as my home insurance isn't due for another 8 months.
  • I'm with Pedalcover too - and was recommended by a friend who also uses them. Really friendly, bike orientated people.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    AA are excellent
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Just had my renewal through from pedal cover.. £390.
    Just did a quote from AXA for £225 for the top level but of course doesnt cover the bikes etc. you can add bike cover for an additional £16.50 but it will only cover up to £1500 per bike to a max of £3k for 2, you would have thought these days that the cover would be much higher.

Got a few days so ill get a few more quotes
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • jmm434
    jmm434 Posts: 18
    Take a look at velosurance
  • ProjectObject
    ProjectObject Posts: 145
    Be careful with household insurance covering bikes. Read the very very small print. There are often lots of conditions to adhere to regarding the bikes. Some of them are designed specifically so they don't need to pay out. Better off with separate bike insurance policy. I'm with Asset Sure. I'm covered for everything including bike jacking.
  • redbikejohn
    redbikejohn Posts: 160
    I'm with direct line and they paid out for my bike when it was stolen at work. Paid for all the lights, pump, racks and mudguards Tec.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Went with Hastings Direct, underwritten by AXA, albeit for the whole house. Extra cost for 7k of bikes was about £35 for the year. Admittedly yet to read the small print, but friendly girl said it covered loss, damage and theft provided the bike was locked (and covered up in car)
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Went with Hastings Direct, underwritten by AXA, albeit for the whole house. Extra cost for 7k of bikes was about £35 for the year. Admittedly yet to read the small print, but friendly girl said it covered loss, damage and theft provided the bike was locked (and covered up in car)

I'm with HD/AXA too, £6k bike specified and others come under the personal possessions limit. It covers theft from home, an outbuilding, a car, away from home if locked with a sold secure gold lock, and accidental damage. I pay just short of £300 for everything, which is a premier policy which also includes legal cover, extended accidental damage etc.