Wheels for the hills.

CC12
CC12 Posts: 5
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello. Which wheels will be better for the hills - Alps?

Fulcrum Racing Zero Competizione
http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/ ... mpetizione

Fulcrum Racing Speed ​​35
http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/ ... g-speed-35

Road bike Cannondale CAAD 12 Ultegra
Rider 186cm 85kg

I want hard balls to stiffen and I can not decide between these.

Zero - has better hubs and ceramic bearings, aluminum spokes will stiffer.
It has better braking performance.
The disadvantage is the higher weight and the miserable choice of tubeless tires.

Speed ​​35 - has a lower weight, tubular and a large selection of the best tire.
It has worse braking properties mainly in the wet, it has worse hubs and bearings.

Aerodynamics will be about the same Speed ​​35 is slightly higher but narrow only 20mm - Zero is 23mm which is better for 25mm tires.

I mean, though, Speed ​​35 is tubular and 250g lighter Zero can be as quick and good with better hubs and harder spokes.

Which of these two wheels to choose? What is better?

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Go for the ones with the best braking performance and the stiffest spokes, you'll be spending too much time going ( relatively) slowly uphill, for the aero to be of much use, and given a choice between stiff with good braking, or aero with less good braking, for the downhills, I'd go with the good braking performance stiffer ones.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Buy the 35s for the ascent - then stop at the top and change to the Zeros for the descent. Sorted.
  • CC12
    Good joke :D
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Imposter wrote:
    Buy the 35s for the ascent - then stop at the top and change to the Zeros for the descent. Sorted.

With a Cyclespeed support car, such dreams can become reality!

But basically, if it's wet the Zero's are faster, if it's dry the 35's, simple as that really.
  • Everyone knows you can only descend safely with disc brakes.

Get yourself a new bike.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Rubbish! For descending you need a recumbent.
  • CC12
    New bike? This is the new half a year. That's totally out - I do not want the disc brakes - a big weight.

I choose only from these two entangled bikes. Everyone has a pros and cons.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    CC12 wrote:
    Good joke :D

Perhaps, but to be fair, it's still as valid as any other suggestion. Either wheelset will make next to no real-world difference to your climbing, so just get the set you like the look of - which is what most people really want to do anyway.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Assuming this isn't a trolling thread the question comes down to whether you are keen to run tubs or clinchers.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D