Asgard Bike shed - worth it?

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited April 2017 in Commuting chat
Has anyone bought an asgard bike shed, and if so would you say they're worth the cash?

I've been looking at this one http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-storage-x4 which has actually gone up by £25 in the last week!
FCN: 6

Comments

• prowlbass
    prowlbass Posts: 159
    I've got 2 - that model in my back garden and a smaller one in the front. I live within spitting distance of a reasonably rough estate, but the sheds have never been 'tested', so can't really comment to how well they'd actually hold up to a genuine attempt to get at my bikes.

The shed in out front only holds my crappy commuter bike - don't think I'd leave my good bikes in it just because it's in full view of the road and I've no doubt if someone *really* wanted to get into it, they would. I'd hope my neighbours would notice and intervene, but not a risk I'm willing to take. The bigger shed in the back garden holds the good bikes and my garden's got very high walls, anti climbing measures (it backs onto an industrial estate, so the over the top defences are theirs) a well locked side gate and bright security lights.

Both sheds would be much harder to break into than my garden shed - there's no wooden door, windows, or easy access points etc. That said, anything can be broken into by a motivated thief. Due to their shape and construction material, any break in attempt would be VERY loud - it'd probably be a matter of minutes, but definitely loud enough you'd hear it from in the house or the neighbouring houses, so hopefully someone would react.

Definitely take the time to anchor it to the ground, place it in full view of a window and install a ground anchor inside and lock your bikes to that. There's no such thing as a break in proof solution, but the shed is a massively bigger deterrent than a normal garden shed with a padlock or other more 'usual' storage options. They're well built and they've definitely thought about how to block, shield and hide the weak points as well as possible. I know how I'd break into it if I ever lost my keys, but hopefully the average thief wouldn't be as savvy with the construction and would just go for the obvious (but reinforced) parts.

Are they worth the cash... can't honestly answer until someone tries to steal my bike and either fails or succeeds. In 5 years no one's tried, but I can't honestly say whether the shed's played a role in that - my area's pretty low crime, but a significant number of yoofs and rough types see me riding a range of reasonably nice bikes through the estate and into my house.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    They look good, I hear good things about them, but I also fail to hear any alternatives which are more than a garden shed. With the lack of competition, it could be the only proper choice beyond the shed option.

Toying with the idea of the 8 bike one myself (for general garden storage with the bikes) but I am trying to find something to compare it to, quality and price wise.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    The only alternative I ever hear mentioned is Trimetal https://www.trimetals.co.uk/shop/bike-storage/ generally owners are happy until they see/use an Asgard (exposed lock on the Trimetal is the usual comment, where the Asgard has a shroud)
  • prowlbass
    prowlbass Posts: 159
    The only alternative I ever hear mentioned is Trimetal https://www.trimetals.co.uk/shop/bike-storage/ generally owners are happy until they see/use an Asgard (exposed lock on the Trimetal is the usual comment, where the Asgard has a shroud)

Probably unfair to judge from the pics, but yes, that does look bizarrely easy to get at. The lock shackle looks marginally thicker than mine (although mine has 2), but totally open and conveniently placed. The shrouds on the Asgard aren't overly thick, but an added inconvenience at least and the lock positioning is way more awkward to reach with an angle grinder even if/when you get through the shrouds. Also looks like it's easy to access the gap between the lid and the shed body, something that's shrouded on the Asgard (yes it's thick steel etc., but nothing a decent jack or ram couldn't force).

Looks like the extra cost basically just gets you thicker steel... which to my mind doesn't necessarily = more secure.
  • Whether or not they would keep a would be thief out, I suspect the process of gaining entry would be pretty noisy. If your neighbours don't hate you, and someone is likely to be alert enough to detect loud, vibrating steel hammering... then I suspect it would be detected. If the locks are bobbins though, all bets are off. Worth reading about regarding that
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    I'm really happy with mine, excellent build quality and would definitely get another if I needed the extra secure storage
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • Man Of Lard
    Without a shroud, most padlocks can be smashed open relatively quietly with two large screwdrivers regardless of size... No grinding necessary. With a shroud (or a padlock that has a novel arrangement for the loop) that turns it in to a grinder (noisy) job.

(I used to work in a University and regularly had to legitimately remove locks from various doors, bikes, etc after student japes of filling them with superfluous and as a side entertainment, plague the salesmen of companies selling locks on the basis of their hardened components... Get two decent levers in most of them and they pop - sometimes the locking is so poor that you could fasten then up again and nobody would know they'd been forced)
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    edited April 2017
    I installed a ground anchor and 3 bike hooks, which required lots of drilling at 6am with a 2000W drill.

No one complained or came out to take a look despite the fact that i live in the middle of a big block of flats.

Don't place any reliance on neighbours noticing or reporting anything. 2x 18mm ground anchors and £x00 of locks is what you need.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I have an Asgard, as far has I am concerned it is worth the money, easily assembled very strong
    Obviously if anyone wanted to get into it they will do .
  • Man Of Lard
    It should be obvious - but don't buy an Asgard (or Trimetals) shed and put a £2.99 padlock on it, buy one with a decent brand behind it (especially if it comes with additional recognised security standards - BS EN 12320: 2001 as a start point) - and because it's outside (even with the shroud) make sure that you keep the internals lubricated according to manufacturer's recommendation.

https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/p ... /padlocks/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,655
    Short answer is yes. I once had to get a locksmith to break into mine after one of my children filled the padlock with play sand. Admittedly he was trying not to damage the shed but it took him two hours to get in. The shrouds are designed for the discus type padlock, and leave just the keyhole visible. If you were trying to get in at any cost, it could be done but would be very noisy, so I imagine all but the most specific of thieves would just try somewhere else.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    We've got the Asgard 7 bike store. It's currently got 9 bikes in, probably with room for more once I stick some Clugs to the walls with magnets (or something).

Pros:
    Nobody would get in without making an incredible amount of noise.
    The built-in locks are very good quality and are, as far as I can work out, unpickable (I used to spend a lot of time studying locks!).
    It's huge.
    It's effectively completely weather-proof.
    Hooks for hanging your bike clobber.
    It's fairly invisible in the trees where we've got it.

Cons:
    The initial up front cost.
    Have to get concrete base in place first.

Summary:
    Unequivocally definitely worth the cost.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    Thanks for the feedback - I've just ordered the 4 bike shed with shelves, hooks, subfloor and locks.

10% off too :D
    FCN: 6