Remorse?

bigmul
bigmul Posts: 208
edited April 2017 in Road general
So I have 2 road bikes - a carbon Boardman I bought 2nd hand with SRAM Rival (10 sp) and a CAAD12 Ultegra with RS81 C35's. The CAAD obviosuly cost a lot more and has better kit, but I can't help still having a soft spot for the Boardman and thinking I should have maybe just put Ultegra on it instead.

Am I crazy?

Comments

• You never forget your first love. You almost feel like you are cheating on her and I'm sure many would like a 'go' on their ex's now and again. You get used to the comfortable nuances and feel for the old beast. New bikes are great but when you have so many happy memories with the old it's hard to let go.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Bikes are like women.

One will be a better ride but you'll probably end up with the more sensible, practical one.
  • bigmul
    It's got Zonda's and an Ass Saver...still love the thing!
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Everything about my Ridley Noah SL is better than my Veloce equipped aluminium Bianchi, but when I head on a 100+ mile ride to the Cotswolds and back on Sunday, it'll be on Betty Bianchi. Can't put my finger on it but I just prefer it.

Actually commuting on the Noah this week, if I had a quid for everyone who has picked it up in the bike room at work and commented on the weight I could buy a Rapha jacket.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If you put the Ultegra on it you won't like it as much for some reason.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Stop being such an emotional wuss. Your new bike is better - deal with it! ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    How many other road bikes have you owned?

Ultimately there is nothing stopping you putting the Ultegra and flash wheels on your boardman, so go ahead and give it a go. Some of the Carbon Boardman frames are top notch, so no reason it wouldn't have qualities preferable to your new CAAD.

Ultimately, once you hit a certain quality threshold with road bikes, there's very little to choose between the bikes apart from how they make you feel...
  • bigmul
    TimothyW wrote:
    How many other road bikes have you owned?

Ultimately there is nothing stopping you putting the Ultegra and flash wheels on your boardman, so go ahead and give it a go. Some of the Carbon Boardman frames are top notch, so no reason it wouldn't have qualities preferable to your new CAAD.

Ultimately, once you hit a certain quality threshold with road bikes, there's very little to choose between the bikes apart from how they make you feel...

First was an alloy boardman with Sora, then a CX, then the carbon boardman and finally the CAAD. I think you're right about what it comes down to - they're more bike than I'm capable of I'm sure!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You're not crazy, there may be good reasons why you like riding the Boardman that you can't explain. Put Ultegra on it, damn put Dura Ace on it, ride it, enjoy it, enjoy it more!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Last night it rained just as I was heading out for my evening ride so I took the old alu bike with muguards and 9 s/hand speed Tiagra. That was my first proper road bike 10 years ago, and it still fits me like a glove. I keep it running sweetly and so it is still a hoot to ride.

OK, I have a lighter carbon bike too, but I think if I was ever in a situation where I could only keep one of them I think I might keep the old one...
  • Nothing competes with the first road bike you have,
    I can't sell mine for that same reason and have lighter better spec bikes, but when I open the garage heading out for a ride, something about the old Alu Boardman brings a smile to my face which I just don't get with a more aggressive carbon frame.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    In a race, get all the best, lightest stuff onto the bicycle you intend to race.

If you're doing anything other than racing, ride the bike that makes you happy and makes you want to ride again.

The nicest geared road bike I own is a rather ancient aluminium thing on 2 x 9 Veloce and sitting on low-end G3 Campag wheels. But it is lovely and never fails to make me smile.

On bikes of an era, most components can be swapped between machines, but other posters on this thread have already identified that the intangible 'lovely factor' may have little to do with componentry.
  • Nothing competes with the first road bike you have,
    I can't sell mine for that same reason and have lighter better spec bikes, but when I open the garage heading out for a ride, something about the old Alu Boardman brings a smile to my face which I just don't get with a more aggressive carbon frame.

Mine was fuckingshit, but that was in 1981.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited July 2017
    ppppp
  • bigmul
    Might be a good idea! There's people who look down their nose at Boardmans, but I rate them and don't think I could part with it now!
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Demote it to winter/general use bike and keep the nice new one for dry use only.

Thats what i do, plus i have a bike in Spain, therefore have 3 road bikes... Go me..!
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited July 2017
    ppppp
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Get rid of the old bike now before you go insane.