What spd pedals?

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
What are the differences between the many existing spd pedals?
I already checked the shimano website and made "comparison", but I could not really conclude anything.
http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bik ... edals.html
M520, M530, M540, M545, bla bla...

Anyone knows?
Thanks,

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    What type of riding do you do and how much experience do you have with SPDS?
  • Pep
    JGTR wrote:
    What type of riding do you do and how much experience do you have with SPDS?

Well, I doubt my answer matters but here we go:
    I ride semiurban commute, 15km each way, 5days/week, and I have 21yr of spd experience.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Shimano M520, cheap and bullet proof.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JGTR
    Shimano M520. Cheap, last for ever, you don't need the cage as you aren't riding anything technical or require the xtra sole support. You don't need light weight so don't need XT (but 520 are pretty light anyway). 540 are same pedal just lighter and more expensive.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Main difference is price.
    Expensive ones are lighter but not an awful lot. Bearings are better but the cheap ones are more than good enough.
    Having had everything from M520 to XT, I'd go M520 every time now.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    JGTR wrote:
    Shimano M520. Cheap, last for ever, you don't need the cage as you aren't riding anything technical or require the xtra sole support. You don't need light weight so don't need XT (but 520 are pretty light anyway). 540 are same pedal just lighter and more expensive.

I have both M520 and M540 on my road bikes but once I'm clipped in I can't tell them apart. The weight difference is minimal. If weight worries you the Boardman copies are allegedly lighter.

I only chose 540s because the colour matched the groupset better... :roll:

If these things matter to you the 520s you can install / remove using a pedal spanner on the flats, while the 540s only have the hex socket in the end of the axle to do it. And the 520s in theory require the plastic tool to disassemble / service while the 540s you can do with just spanners.

I've had both apart for servicing and the internals look pretty similar (I only did it out of curiosity; the 540s are 10 years old and still fine)

TLDR: ^ wot he said. Get the M520s. Cheap and last years.
  • Pep
    Thanks, eveybody.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    keef66 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    If weight worries you the Boardman copies are allegedly lighter.
    Yep, 285g, they are what I have. Got them for a touch under £20 last year in a sale (with BC discount), and use them every day for commuting in all weathers. Regular cleaning and lube, and they're still in top condition
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    520 for the minimalist vibe, 530 if you want cages, 424 if you want something you can occasionally ride with ordinary trainers on.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • POAH wrote:
    get a pair of time atac pedals

From the reading around I've done recently, the QC is nowhere near as good as it was ~10 years ago.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • JGTR
    Andy9964 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    Yep, 285g, they are what I have. Got them for a touch under £20 last year in a sale (with BC discount), and use them every day for commuting in all weathers. Regular cleaning and lube, and they're still in top condition

Hmmmmm......I never said that?
  • keef66
    JGTR wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Yebbut I did!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:
    get a pair of time atac pedals

From the reading around I've done recently, the QC is nowhere near as good as it was ~10 years ago.

only had two pairs in the last 20 years
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My M520's were bought in 2009 and are still working perfectly, about 7000miles down so far and that's on the commuter where they get covered in salt and other rubbish daily.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    keef66 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Yebbut I did!
    My quote editing skillz need an upgrade ;)

• keef66
    Andy9964 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Yebbut I did!
    My quote editing skillz need an upgrade ;)

You're consistent, I'll give you that!
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    How much difference does not having a cage make to comfort and power transfer? I have the single sided M324 but I never use the flat side.
  • keef66
    pbassred wrote:
    How much difference does not having a cage make to comfort and power transfer? I have the single sided M324 but I never use the flat side.

Depends on the stiffness of the shoe sole. With some of the flexible MTB / touring shoe soles you'd probably benefit from the cage. With a decently stiff cycling shoe not so much.

I've never suffered hot spots or anything with my stiffish touring shoes and simple M520 / 540 double sided SPDs
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I've got cheapo DHB MTB shoes and bought 520 and 530 at the same time for two different bikes. Can't feel the platform on the 530 at all so ditched the 530s and just use 520s now. Couldn't see what the 530 platform was actually doing TBH!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The features (not platform) is designed to make it easier to clip into by making it easy to catch and rotate the pedal with your foot.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    I went for the Boardman SPD pro. After 2 1/2 hours, I cant see what the cage was doing for me either - except getting in the way of unclipping.