Buying a new full suspension mountain MAX £2000

pistol81
pistol81 Posts: 7
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

getting back into mountain biking and I m looking at a full suspension bike.

the one I've seen and like is the Giant trance 3,
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/trance-3

anyone got one or has any views on it????

Also I visited a local bike shop today in Darlington and they had a Santa Cruz superlite 29er for £1999
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-GB/superlight (i think this is the bike)

any ideas on either bike or can anyone recommend another???? max is defo £2000

thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    £1899 here, but that's a lot for Recon Silver.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Have a look on pauls cycle website you might be able to save bit money and get better spec bike at the same time

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b4s183p ... nsion-27-5
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Bird Aeris or Commencal Meta TR 4.2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As the Trance and the Superlight are somewhat different bikes intended for different uses it may be better to clarify what sort of riding you will do and how you like to ride to narrow it down a bit.

No-one buying a bike should be deciding between those two!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pistol81
    thanks for the feedback,
    I intend to be doing red and black trails at my local Dalby and Hamsterley forest tracks. Depending on how i get on and the time actually spent out and about then i might look at other things.
  • JGTR
    pistol81 wrote:
    thanks for the feedback,
    I intend to be doing red and black trails at my local Dalby and Hamsterley forest tracks. Depending on how i get on and the time actually spent out and about then i might look at other things.

• pistol81
    JGTR wrote:
    pistol81 wrote:
    thanks for the feedback,

are these the 2???
    https://www.bird.bike/product/aeris-120 ... figuration

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/comm ... prod147110
  • JGTR
    Yep, excepct the Meta is the longer travel all mountain (AM) version, ideally you want the trail version (TR) which is shorter travel and only available direct from Commencal. You can demo a Bird for £10 at Swinley, I've got a demo booked for next month
  • pistol81
    just seen this bike but cant find many reviews on it. anyone any vies on it?

https://www.infinitycycles.co.uk/1202/p ... oldid=1202
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I really don't like the Cube. Wallowy rear suspension and frame flex aren't nice. Shame because the old 26" Stereo was really nice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    That Capra is a real tank of a bike. It doesn't climb well at all. Go to any trail centre and you can be guaranteed to see a couple people pushing Capras up climbs. Most people with them really don't need 170mm suspension.
    The Jeffsy is a lot better but it seems cracked frames aren't uncommon and customer service is ropey at best.
    For £2k I'd be going for the Commencal Meta TR. Good frame, reasonable build, nicely sorted for UK trail riding.
  • johnas7
    johnas7 Posts: 39
    LJ. wrote:

Ive got the AL1 and ive had no problems climbing on it, ride mostly red/blacks at glentress, innerleithan, hamsterley, thrunton, in the lakes, never had to get off and push.
    Mate has a jeffsy and said its the best bike hes ever had and hes had loads.
  • The Rookie
    That's as maybe, I have two friends with Capras and know for a certain that they are significantly slower climbing on them that their other bikes, I know this as I can keep up when they are on the Capras.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    The Rookie wrote:
    That's as maybe, I have two friends with Capras and know for a certain that they are significantly slower climbing on them that their other bikes, I know this as I can keep up when they are on the Capras.

Ha ha, this bike is shit because my mates are slow on them :lol: :roll:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    JGTR wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Ha ha, this bike is shoot because my mates are slow on them :lol: :roll:

that's not what he said
  • The Rookie
    I've ridden with both on wide ranges of bikes so I'm comparing their speed on a Capra with their speed on other bikes of similar or slightly less travel, the Capra doesn't climb as well as other similar travel bikes, I think most people can get that from my first post, but I thought I'd expand on it a bit for the slower ones in the audience.
  • rockmonkeysc
    JGTR wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Ha ha, this bike is shoot because my mates are slow on them :lol: :roll:

I've ridden one as well. It does not climb as well as my Transition Patrol and to be perfectly honest, the Patrol is a bit of a tank up hill.
    Unless you're doing nothing but bike park black trails, the Capra is just completely over the top. 170mm rear suspension is just too much for UK trail riding.