Campag EPS V3 Set-up tips

Ladders
Ladders Posts: 5
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hi!

Been running my Campag EPS V3 for a month or so now. Very happy with it, but found the set-up video's / instructions lacking a bit of detail!

For example with setting up the front mech, the video just tells you to set up the .5mm gap between the chain and the inside of the cage and everything is done! This wasn't the case for me as I had to set the position on the big ring to stop it throwing the chain off when you change onto the big ring!

I think I have the rear mech setup ok, but I don't think it is quite as crisp as it should /could be?? I have see a Youtube vid where someone recommends that with the zero settings it helps if you line the mech up to slightly over shift the 2nd and 10th sprocket by a tap or two. Then you can enter a mode to fine tune.

Anyone else got any hints and tips etc? Cheers

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have EPS v2 but faced the same setup issues as you:
    - chain would sometimes overshoot the big chainring, so adjusted the front mech to be inwards a bit.
    - found that the 2nd/10th sprocket alignment method didn't work at all. Once I'd set it up, found that the RD no longer aligned with the 2nd sprocket. By trial and error, I eventually got it to align properly. It helps by not having the chain on, so you can see how the top jockey wheel is aligned with the sprockets.

In short, its a right fiddle ar$e. But once setup, it works a treat. Typical Italian!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Ladders
    Ladders Posts: 5
    Thanks Dr! Is it possible to set up just the 2nd or 10th sprocket do you know, or do you have to do it from scratch each time?

Yes I found it was easier to aligning without the chain on, which is a bit of a pain!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    AFAIK you have to start from scratch and set both the 2nd and 10th sprocket.

IIRC, after I setup both, the 10th sprocket position was fine but the 2nd sprocket position was always offset to what I'd set it to. So I tried a few times setting it up off-set from the 2nd sprocket so that once finished, it would "correct" itself to the right place.

Oh, and I use a KMC quick link, so taking the chain on/off is quick and easy!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava