Advice please for buying a bike in Majorca

getting_on_a_bit
getting_on_a_bit Posts: 77
edited April 2017 in Road general
Will be spending more time in Majorca soon so want to buy a bike/keep it there rather than continue to hire.
Not had a serious look around yet but have been to Escapada in Palma and hired from Rad International in Santa Ponsa/Paguera and Pro Cycle Hire in Pollensa...I know that Pro Cycle are selling off their Van Nicholas bikes which I am quite keen on.
My internet research has not taken me far..seems little choice of bike shops and certainly no discounting..looking to spend £1000-£1500.Decathlon have a store near Palma which I have yet to visit.
Have considered ordering on-line here in UK with delivery to Majorca as an alternative on the basis that it may be more cost effective/I can get the exact bike that I want...anybody done this?
Some advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Will be spending more time in Majorca soon so want to buy a bike/keep it there rather than continue to hire.
    Not had a serious look around yet but have been to Escapada in Palma and hired from Rad International in Santa Ponsa/Paguera and Pro Cycle Hire in Pollensa...I know that Pro Cycle are selling off their Van Nicholas bikes which I am quite keen on.
    My internet research has not taken me far..seems little choice of bike shops and certainly no discounting..looking to spend £1000-£1500.Decathlon have a store near Palma which I have yet to visit.
    Have considered ordering on-line here in UK with delivery to Majorca as an alternative on the basis that it may be more cost effective/I can get the exact bike that I want...anybody done this?
    Some advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Why not just buy the bike you want over here and then hire a bike box to take it over with you next time you go?
  • £80 Easyjet cost + bike box hire cost...didn't view this as cost effective
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    £80 Easyjet cost + bike box hire cost...didn't view this as cost effective

Probably a lot less than the discount you can achieve by buying from your choice of bike from your choice of retailer over here.

Some of those hire bikes are nice (I've had a few days on a Pro Cycle hire Van Nic myself) but they have a hard life.
  • Fair point..I have /am considering this especially as I can wait until September when there normally are some good reductions which could offset cost.
    Still interested to know if anybody has done the buy over here/deliver to Majorca option