Fitting new Shimano BT-DN110 battery and synchro shifting

nicube
nicube Posts: 175
edited April 2017 in Road general
I've just read recently that fitting the new Shimano battery with the blue tooth chip (BT-DN110) to the older Di2 system will enable synchro shifting and blue tooth connectivity with a software update and being someone that runs two LOOKs with Di2 Dura Ace 9070 I'm tempted to fit them with these new batteries.

Anyone else tried this yet and how'd you find it?

Cheers 8)
LOOK 795 Aerolight Dura ace Di2
LOOK 675 Dura ace mechanical
LOOK 595 105
Cinelli Zydeco

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    Not cheap are they at seemingly over £100.

I have a Synapse from 2016, assuming it will likely have the old battery fitted.........?

Will take it out at some point and see how it is labelled.

Would be interested to get the firmware upgraded and give this a go though, and will be interested to hear what others make of it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I looked into it. As I didn't have a D-Fly and bought some Dura Ace Shifters. They have stopped making the old D-Fly which I needed to allow the buttons on the shifters to operate the Garmin.

I had to pay pretty much retail for a used D-Fly. Otherwise only option was to replace my perfectly fine older Di2 battery and get the newer battery and newer D-Fly. That weighs in at pretty much £200 which is a lot!!!
  • nicube
    As it's Bluetooth enabled do we think that means the D-fly can be removed and everything can connect via Bluetooth then? I've got D-fly on both the LOOKs, would make the internal wiring neater without it
    LOOK 595 105
    Cinelli Zydeco
  • twist83
    I believe you need the new battery AND the new Junction box EW-WU111.

So basically replace battery and D-fly with the newer one. From what I gather the new D-Fly doesn't work with the old battery and you need both new battery and D-Fly to bluetooth update and Synchro.

The new D-Fly however is inline rather than side by side ports and slightly smaller.
  • nicube
    Really!! Bugger, I'll have to look at my budget again, cheers.
    LOOK 595 105
    Cinelli Zydeco
  • twist83
    I fell foul of this as above.

Although for reference I paid £62 on Ebay for a used D-fly!!!! They are like hens teeth. So have a good resale value. This would nearly pay for the WU111.

Used battery has to be worth £40? So outlay taking into account selling of old parts is not too bad faced from starting from scratch.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    Ha, I only bought my DFly unit last September, and managed to install it in the top tube - don't really want to spend what another £180ish on battery and new d-fly unit, and then have to swap DFly units out to get that facility - it sounds nice, but I don't want it that much!

And yes I appreciate there is resale in the battery and the DFly.

cfd01d5f3e1ea255f63e86d44203e284_-duncan-bannatynes-voice-duncan-bannatyne-im-out-meme_620-349.jpeg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • twist83
    Nope with you on that! Not sure if they could have made it work with the old D-Fly? Works well for them though sales wise.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    This may help for the Bluetooth connectivity;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIzcTYLm3PI

And this for Synchro Shift;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37PQ61-R-Y
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    I quite like the idea of the synchro shift on my 6870 setup, however mine is only 10 months old, do I really want to spend another couple of hundred quid to save me pushing a few buttons? Hmm.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Mike wrote:
    I quite like the idea of the synchro shift on my 6870 setup, however mine is only 10 months old, do I really want to spend another couple of hundred quid to save me pushing a few buttons? Hmm.

£20 maybe, £200, no.

Personally, I don't see it as a 'game changer' and it remains 'Off' on my bike......