Shimano Dura Ace 9000 Brake and Gear cable set with SRAM Force 22

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Aloha every one

In the process of building up my new bike. Its a Cannondale Synapse Carbon frame, and I decided to go with SRAM Force 22 except the crankset, which is a Red 22.

I thought I should get the best possible cables out there available, so I went for Dura Ace 9000 for brakes and gears:

Shimano Dura Ace BC-9000 Polymer Brake Cable Set - FW + RW
https://www.bike24.com/p212378.html

Shimano Dura Ace 9000 PTFE Shift Cable Set
https://www.bike24.com/p212384.html

I am still waiting for the cables to arrive, but I just read somewhere today, that the Dura Ace are 1.2mm in diameter, and SRAM shifters should use 1.1mm cables?

Would this be a problem? 0.1mm could cause issues?

And if so, should I return the Gear Cable set? THe brakes cable set should be ok? Right?

Many thanks

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I run SRAM Force 22 and SRAM Rival 22 on the two road bikes. The Force bike uses Shimano 105 5810 brake callipers (direct mount and SRAM don't make them) and the Rival bike has SRAM Red. I use Jagwire Shimano cable inners and haven't experienced any problems.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • odessouky
    Are the Jagwire Shimano cables 1.2mm as well?

Thing is, The cables I ordered are from Germany, from Bike24, and it would be a hassle to return them!
  • The brake cables will be fine. The gear cables may be a little more difficult to thread through the shifter but it will have no issues once installed. I ran shimano cables on Sram red 2012 shifters without any issues.

When you thread the cables, don't cut the cable before installing. Its a nightmare to thread if the cables are even a little frayed.
  • odessouky
    The brake cables will be fine. The gear cables may be a little more difficult to thread through the shifter but it will have no issues once installed. I ran shimano cables on Sram red 2012 shifters without any issues.

When you thread the cables, don't cut the cable before installing. Its a nightmare to thread if the cables are even a little frayed.

Does that apply to BRAND NEW SHIFTERS? I'm slightly confused, as I just received the Force Shifters today, and they have a stainless cable already coming out of the hoods?

Also the box has a lot of black casing and more stainless wire ending with a small metal knob?

Are those the brake cables?

If so, then this Dura Ace purchase I did was totally pointless??!!
  • The shifters come with gear inners already installed the other cable is brake. People say 1.2mm works but sram is optimised for 1.1 so thats what I run on my force 22 and apex 20 and always have done. Jagwire do both 1.2 and 1.1 there are loads of sellers on ebay starcycles are good IME and you can choose which cable you want with them and their ad explains the differences stainless, stainless slick etc.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    I don't know if the same applies to SRAM shifters, but the heads on Shimano gear cables are slightly larger than the heads on Campagnolo gear cables, and if you use a Shimano gear cable in a Campagnolo Ergo shifter, come cable replacement time you will find that the head of the gear cable is so firmly wedged where it sits in the Ergo body that it can't be pushed out without disassembling the shifter. I had to take apart a friend's 11s Chorus Ergo shifters because the cables (both shifters) would just bend in a loop inside the shifter body when attempting to push them out from where they normally enter the body of the shifter, and there wasn't enough of the cable head protruding from the housing it was in to be able to grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers.
  • odessouky
    Thanks for all your replies...

Seeing that the Dura Ace cables are better not to use, I'll stick with the SRAM ones that came with the shifters and put the Dura Ace cables on the classified.
    Too much hassle to ship them back to Germany.